108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 bombing/freezing using SmartStart

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Hunt_1
Advisor

Proliant 3000 bombing/freezing using SmartStart

I've been trying to get this system up an running for a day now...with no luck.

Proliant 3000/640MB Ram with Smart Array 3200.

Prior to trying to set it up, the system had detected a bad drive, which I removed from the system.

- Ran the System Erase Utility (1.70) to erase any configuration on the system.
- Tried to boot with several different SmartStart CDs (the newest one was downloaded from HP site). Current version on hand is 5.5.

System gets so far and then either bombs or freezes at various stages of the SmartStart load.

- In one instance, I was able to get to the set/date time screen, confirm the changes, "I Agree" to SmartStart screen, then further load time produces an invalid page fault error:

"SMRTSTRT caused an invalid page fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 002:00007bce"

- Another time it just stopped at the "SmartStart for Servers" splash screen. CD-ROM just stopped.

I took out the 512MB chip (left remaining 128MB) and tried everything again...same problems.
I tried replacing the CD-ROM, too....same issues.
Upgraded the BIOS on the system and the firmware on the controller...same problems.

At this point, I have no idea what's going on. Any idea what's going on?
27 REPLIES 27
Eric Hunt_1
Advisor

Also...

- Tried only the 512MB in the system...same issues.
- Tried to run the System Configuration Utility (F10) when booting from the SmartStart CD...same problem...sysem freezes.

- Removed/reinserted processor and Smart Array card...same issues.
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

Make sure your BIOS is to the latest ver. Latest BIOS for this server can be downloaded from this link
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1112.html#4

Make sure you got the right BIOS the link shows two different BIOS for Proliant3000(P09) and Proliant3000(E39). You ahve to find out which one is your system.

I don't think you the OS installed so I recommend to downoload the floppy diskette version

Regards
Amha Kassa

amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

The supported Smart Start for this server is ver 5.5 so make sure you use this ver. Look at his link for reference
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/cd_supportinfo/ServerSupportMatrix.pdf
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

I don't believe smart array controller SA3200 is supported on proliant 3000.

WHo know try updating the BIOS on the server and see if it helps. But I doubt it

Regards
Amha Kassa
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Eric,

The KRNL386.EXE page fault at 0002:00007bce nomrmally indicates that the system has lost access to the installation media. Freezing during the splash screen could be the same.

You should be using SmartStart v5.5 as later versions are not supported on your server, but I think that your hardware problem is CD related in some way. Check all the cables and clean the CD. If possible, try another CD drive.

I would also reseat anything that is reseatable, especially your array controller and drives.

Colin
Eric Hunt_1
Advisor

Unfortunately, as I've stated above, I tried:

- SmartStart 5.5, several different discs
- a new CD-ROM drive

The SA3200 was standard on this machine and other Proliant P09 servers I've built in the past.
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Yeah I've used SA3200s on these before, that's not the problem. I would reseat everything, run the system erase utility and try again. If that fails I would run the systems diagnostics. I don't believe that it is a configuration issue, I think it is a hardware failure somewhere.
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

I know for a fact that SmartStart 4.9 works with this class server(email from same system)!
And the raid card 3200 is compliant with the server.
I would suggest using 4.7-4.9 and you should be able to get it going.
Good Luck.
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

As Amha Kassa pointed out through the link http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/cd_supportinfo/ServerSupportMatrix.pdfSmartStart 5.5 is fully supported. I would put money on that not being the issue.