108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 bombing/freezing using SmartStart

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Hunt_1
Advisor

Sorry for not being more detailed, but, yes, the sys erase utility I've been using is on floppy.

I have not tried the system config utility via floppy (4 disks) yet, but will do so tonight.

It's wierd how I can get partly into SmartStart (sometimes being able to set English language, date/time) using the old CD-ROM drive, but I can't get past the splash screen using a new CD-ROM drive (48x). I obtained another, older CD-ROM drive today just to be sure it's not something with the 48x drive.
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

This is really bugging me now Eric. I'm running out of ideas. Hopefully you will be able to post a resolution soon (and give Mark and myself a few points just for being persistent).

Worst case, next time the "Man with the Van" appears you can ask him to take the bloody thing away. LOL

Colin
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Any success? I have to ask since I own one also.
Regards.
Eric Hunt_1
Advisor

More progress....

New CD-ROM (not the 48x, but another one) was bad, so I couldn't try it. Since I had partial success with the original CD, I swapped that back in the box. I also took another look at all the cabling going to/from the drive cage, unplugged and replugged. I also removed the RAID card again and reseated. Pulled out and reseated the drive cage. Ran sys prep again.

Shortly after I was still having problems, so I reran DAAD. It looked like ANOTHER drive was potentially "bad" however it was not flagged as failed with an orange light, just not showing up as available. I yanked that drive out of the setup after rebooting.

Then things started to looking up:

I tried another SmartStart CD (one which was burned using a different machine) and it actually worked...sort of. I did have one small glitch near the end of the process where it's supposed to reboot for the OS load, but a process bombed. However, the build did continue on...

During the OS load, I got a corrupt file message....Tried again, got same message. Tried again with a different disc, got a missing file message.

So currently, I believe my Win2K advanced discs are trash for whatever reason. I'm going to try burning another copy (using a different machine) Monday to see if it makes a difference.

TO RECAP:

- Original CD drive appears to be fine
- 2 potentially bad drives in the raid were removed
- Bad SmartStart CD, one burned on a different system seems to work.
- OS disc appears to be bad, will try new copy on Monday.

More to come....
Eric Hunt_1
Advisor

Looks like it's working now. Must have been something with the discs I burned on this one particular machine. Figures. A fresh copy of Win2K server seemed to work.

Thanks for all the help.
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Well done Eric, I'm pleased that you got it going.

I guess that's a ten pointer for my first post then!! :-)

Colin
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Congrats.
John Bang

Hi. I need some help with my Proliant 3000 Server. I can't figure out how to get into the bios. I have tried everything, I guess. But I can't come into the bios. I'm very tankful if someone gives me the info.