ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748169 Members
3864 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 does not see drive

Scott_246

Proliant 3000 does not see drive

I have a proliant 3000 server that was handed down to us from another department. It came with (2)4.3 GB hard drives and (1)9.1 GB hard drive.I loaded windows 2000 onto the server and it will not recognize the 9.1 drive. What could be the problem?
10 REPLIES 10
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Scott,
There could be two reasons for this. One the drive may be dead or the slot where the drive is possibly bad. How about the system BIOS?? Here is the link to update it:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1112.html

Regards,
Bill Wood_3
Respected Contributor

What controller is running the drives? Are the drives all in the same cage? If not, then you have to check if the cage has the duplex enabler board installed. If it does, then you need a separate controller to operate the 9.1 or you can move it into the cage with the 4.3s. If none of this applies, please provide detailed connection info.
Scott_246

Hello Sunil,

I have already updated the BIOS with the latest version on the HP website. I switched the 9.1 into another slot and it still was not recognized. I believe the drive is good because all the indicator lights light up but one the light is constantly blinking. Do you know what this could mean? Thanks for your help.
Scott_246

Bill,

All the drives are in the same cage. The drives are being controlled by a SMART-2DH Array Contoller. Thank's help.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Scott,
Is this drive part of an array?? Usually when the drive light is blinking means activity going on or could be in the process of rebuilding. How's your set up anyways?? Do you have a RAID 5 set up?? Please let me know and then we shall see what to do.

Regards,

P.S: Please let me know if you have a RAID controller in the system.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Bill,
Have you updated the firmware of Smart 2DH?? If not please let me know as to which version do you have. If it's below 2.x then do not go to the latest one right away. I shall wait for your ans.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Sorry for calling the wrong name....It's for SCOTT :)
Bill Wood_3
Respected Contributor

Please run the array configuration utility to determine the status of the 9.1 drive. This should help you figure out your problem.
Scott_246

Sunil,

The firmware version on the Smart controller is ver 3.08 rev C.

I now get this error 1784 -Slot 4 Drive Array Drive Failure.
The following SCSI drive(s) should be repalced
SCSI Port 1: SCSI ID 0

When I take that drive which is the 9.1 and put it into slot 1 the system will not boot up.

Does this mean that that drive is bad?