1748036 Members
4793 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant 3000 extra proc?

Michael Torsson

Proliant 3000 extra proc?

Hi

Is it possible to put in a second 333Mhz into my 6/300 and "strap" it down to 300 to make it work?
Is it true that 6/300 can't handle more than 512Mb?
Generally, can I take any Slot1 processor that match speed,voltage,stepping and put it in as a second or third proc in my compaqserver or do I have to have compaqoriginal?
Thanks in advance,
Michael
3 REPLIES 3
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

You can put a second processor in, but it has to be the same speed as the existing one.

512MB is the max on that version. You could upgrade to the newer systemboard, that will allow more RAM and processors up to 650MHz

You can use any processor
Orjan Jerijervi
Advisor

If it´s could be done you still got to have the VRM (voltage regulator module). Do you have it? We have a lot of older Proliants like 2500, 800 and 1600 that we wish to put a second cpu in. Processors do we have (from pcs etc), but we miss the VRM.
I can cannibalize servers to take parts from one to another, but its a pity to do that if the server is in ok condition. Even if its old and outdated.
When you buy the CPU from Compaq/HP the VRM is in the box. But buying that spare part has a ridicolous price. The stepping of the CPU´s should also match, but maybe it could work even if it dont.

Or
herb_4
Advisor

i have one proliant 3000 gen 1 which is what u have and one gen 2. the gen 1 is limited to 512, any more and you get an error message. the processor can be any intel processor that matches, ie a pair of 300 with matching stepping codes, or 333 with martching steping codes. you can even under clock a faster processor, ie a 350 pair to 333. if you have a set of 400's then i suggest a gen 2 motherboard. ebay for about 40 dollars.remember that with a secone processor you need a second vrm as well. word to the wise, make sure vrms are the same compaq spare number. if you need parts contact me directly, i have a few extra parts and some memory that will fit the one you have. i can even get you a pair of processors cheap that match.contact me at ford_devel_dog@yahoo.com for any questions or answers.

herb