108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 get s172 error and nonvolital memory error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Theron Smith
Advisor

Proliant 3000 get s172 error and nonvolital memory error

My server wont go past the POST screen. For some reason its not reading anything but 16mgs of ram. It will initialize all hardware but that it. What prgrams make up smart start disk that I cna use to boot to and attempt to configure my system? Also what files make the bios cause mine is missing when i hit F10?
HELP!! server been down 4 ever.
7 REPLIES 7
Theron Smith
Advisor

I recieved a 162 error configuration not set
and a 172 error non volital memory whats causing thses two problems?
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

You will need Compaq SmartStart 5.5 or earlier. This will set the bios.
Theron Smith
Advisor

is it downloadable from hpor compaq?
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor
Solution

yes it is available from hp's site:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22678.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Good Luck and I mean it!
Sincerely, Mark
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Theron,

The CMOS battery on the system board may be flat. Although you should resolve the issue by setting the BIOS values, the problem may come back if you switch off the server for any length of time.

It should be fairly easy to resolve the 172 and other errors by running the System Configuration Utility (SCU) however getting the battery might prove a little more difficult. If it is the soldered CMOS battery which is flat, you need to add an external one. There is a set of pins on the system board to accommodate this external battery and you also need to remove a jumper to tell it to use the external battery source.

I have attached an image of what's needed.

The Compaq spare part for the replacement external battery is 160274-001 but you will probably have difficulty getting this under its Compaq number nowadays. The battery is actually a RAYOVAC model 845 which should be easily available from any decent electronics shop. RAYOVAC Models 844 and 840 are substitutes I believe but check with the store. The battery is keyed so that it only fits one way on the board.

You may also prefer to use the diskette based SCU to set up the system as some people have reported difficulty with the Smartstart 5.50 download image when booting it.

SCU Diskette kit (4 disks required).
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

I hope this helps.

Brian
Theron Smith
Advisor

Thanks all the smart start cd was the cure to most of what ales me, I had posted a new issue with an nvidia pci video card and my raid controller card, PLEASE see my new post.
Theron Smith
Advisor

The responces were right on the money thanks all... However I have a new issue posted.