ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752808 Members
6207 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 is not booting up

Egbert

Proliant 3000 is not booting up

I have upgrade the server with a new MB and a cpu 600 MHz. Directly when I plugged in the powercord the LED VAUX (amber) is lighting up on the MB. I checked all the connectors but it's sees okay with me? Can the memory cause this problem?
10 REPLIES 10
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Egbert,
Yes it could either be the RAM or CPU. Also please check the aux power connector near the backplane board because I have seen this happening several times. Usually when the cage is pushed in the connector gets loose or comes right out.
I hope this helps.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

It's normal for the Aux led to light since this is indicating the server is getting 5v. How much and what type of memory is installed? When you try to power on the machine nothing happens or you don't get any video?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Egbert

I will order original memory for the server. (can take a couple days...?). When I push the power button there 2 more green LED's coming up on the MB. One near the CPU and one above the VAUX LED. Also the fan's are spinning. The screen is blank. By the way the MB is compaq spare part no. 155347-001. If I have it right is this only for a 600 MHz CPU what is installed. But I cann't find the jumper-settings for this CPU? It goes only to 500 MHz?? When I bought this MB the jumpersetting were 3,4,5 in the position on. It this right?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Egbert,
Just a thought, If you have the older model (the one that has the processors plugged into a processor board) there is an interlock at the corner of the cabinet. If the cover plate is removed, the unit will not power up and will show the symptoms you have described. You can fool the interlock by using a screwdriver to close the microswitch.

I have a hunch that you are trying to test the server with the cover removed.

Regards,
Egbert

Junil,
I am still waiting/looking for original Compaq memory, but I cann't find it for a good price..? Do you know exactly what the spare part no. is for this memory and which other numbers I can use?
The weblinks are not answering the question about the 600 MHz settings on the MB. Can you look on your server what the dipswithes settings were?
What I also did is replace the old MB with processor and memory and everything is working fine.
What does it mean that the MB get 5V. Is the memory what change the voltage?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Egbert,
Here are the settings for PIII 600:
SW2 - Processor Speed Switch Settings
Bus/Core Ratio SW1 SW2 SW3 SW4 SW5 SW6
350 MHz ON ON OFF OFF OFF OFF
400 MHz ON OFF ON ON OFF OFF
450 MHz ON OFF ON OFF OFF OFF
500 MHz ON OFF OFF ON OFF OFF
550 MHz ON OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF
600 MHz OFF ON ON ON OFF OFF
The spare part Nos for the Memory are as follows:
Memory Item Description Spare Part Number
24 32 MB SDRAM Memory Module (100 MHz) 317747-001
25 64 MB SDRAM Memory Module (100 MHz) 317745-001
26 128 MB SDRAM Memory Module (100 MHz) 317756-001
27 256 MB SDRAM Memory Module (100 MHz) 317749-001
28 512 MB SDRAM Memory Module (100 MHz) 317748-001

Regards,
Egbert

Sunil, thanks for the information! I have installed original memory now and the server is booting up! But the vaux LED is still on (even when all the panels are installed)?

Regards,

Egbert Kruimink.