ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752567 Members
5367 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 no boot

Matthew Tillman

Proliant 3000 no boot

I recently replaced the 66mhz FSB board in our Proliant 3000 with the 155347-001 100mhz FSB board. However, I can not get it to boot. I tried it with the PIII 550s I intended to use in the system, but couldn't get it to boot with compaq 299306-001 VRMs. So I tried the PII 300 that was orginally in it, and after resetting the jumpers as per the diagram on the system board, and installing the VRM from the old board, I still get no boot. Memory is Crucial Registered ECC, so it shouldn't be the culprit. All I get is green LED on the power supply, and an orange VAUX led on the system board, just below the PCI slots. I do get power to the status LCD.
9 REPLIES 9
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

What messages do you get on the Integrated management display?
Matthew Tillman

No messages, just the standard "Compaq LCD Model #56022 LCD Firmware 1.9"
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Have you tried with a minimum configuration (1 processor, 1 dimm, and no pci adapters)? If the memory is not Compaq, then it very well could be the culprit. I've found almost anything can be swapped out with other manufactures items, but memory is the usual cause of problems.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Matthew Tillman

Yes, I have tried to boot with 1 cpu, 1 stick of ram, no PCI cards, to no avail. I don't have any Compaq PC100, only Compaq EDO. I will try to borrow Compaq PC100 ECC Registered and try it.
Matthew Tillman

No diffrence with Compaq 317756-001 PC100 ECC Registered 128MB DIMM.

Any further ideas?
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

That model has a safety interlock and will not start up without the covers. Are you trying to power it up while it is open?
David_330
Advisor

i will also be doing the same upgrade as you.

did you ever get the server to boot?
Thanks again everyone.
Matthew Tillman

My goodness, do I ever feel like an idiot. After struggling with it for a week, I called Compaq Support (which I didn't realize was free, way to support your customers!) and the tech said "Check your PowerPlane connectors, it sounds as though the board is getting 5v to light up the LEDs and turn on the LCD, but not enough to boot" and sure enough, the connector that goes to AUX PS was loose.

The board is listed as 600mhz only, but works beutifully with my 550s, and Crucial ram.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Egbert

I have the same problem. Upgrade the systemboard with the cpu (600 MHz). When I plugged in the power cord directly lights up an amber LED "VAUX" on the systemboard. When I push the power button the server doesn't boot up. I checked all the cables, but there is nothing wrong with it? Only the memory can be an issue, but is that connected also to the LED VAUX issue?