108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000, no boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bryan Easley
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 3000, no boot

I currently have a Proliant 3000 running 333 Mhz single processor with drive cage. When I first started working on this server it boot to "F1 or F10" prompt. After seeing numerous 162 & 173 codes repeatedly and the SmartStart from floppy indicating the ROM was locked, I figured I had an RTC battery going out.
I ordered a new battery and put it in. At this time I also changed out the CD-ROM as it was not working properly either (found the CD-ROM had a bent pin.) When I installed the external battery I could not find the jumper to change to the external battery per Compaq's jumpers and switches guide.
Bottom line here is that the server power supplies run, but nothing further. I am not sure if the internal fans are running as I have not figured a way to defeat the case interlocks (which is irritating.) When it starts all the lights on the SCSI drive light up, but nothing on Floppy or new CD-ROM and no video. What have I done wrong?
7 REPLIES 7
David Orwig
Regular Advisor

The older compaq servers like to have th CDROM set to cable select as opposed to master or slave.
Bryan Easley
Occasional Advisor

I saw that in some of the other 3000 posts, so I went back in and reset it to CS, but still have the same problem. Could a bad CD-ROM cause this?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Bryan here is something that you can try:
Take Server to minimum configuration: min. Memory, no PCI cards, eve if you suspect Cd ROM you can disconnect all Cables for HDD and Media drives.
Disconnect Power Cables from Server ├в press and hold Power Switch for 10 seconds, Reset remaining CPU and Memory
Reconnect Power cables and try to Power Up, after add all components back one by one.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=160274-001

See attachment for battery help
Bryan Easley
Occasional Advisor

KOV,
Thanks I will give that shot later today and see what happens.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I would look at the rear of the server and see what the leds on the power supplies are doing. Are they blinking 10 x green, then 1 x amber? If they are then this is likely because the covers aren't on all the way. This server has interlocks (one for each cover) and will not power on until each cover is securely in place.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Bryan Easley
Occasional Advisor

It's not the case interlocks, I learned about those pretty quickly. Once I discovered them the side one was easy to defeat, but the top I found I just had to keep putting on the cover. I have since been able to defeat the top one once and found that all case fans are running, but no motherboard lights or further activity. I have yet to try KOV's approach (I'm not at the server yet.)
Bryan Easley
Occasional Advisor

KOV,
You did it!! It turned out to be the CD-ROM. I put it back together 1 part at a time and the last one was the CD-ROM, so I replaced it and low and behold I am not only up and running but booting into to the Smart Start CD!
Thanks.