ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 3000 won't reboot/shutdown

Proliant 3000 won't reboot/shutdown

I have a 3000 with W2K and all the patches. I've installed the latest bios. When I reboot or shutdown I get a blinking "-" on the screen. I ended up having to power off the system. I have 4 scsi disks connected to the internal controller.
Any ideas???
6 REPLIES
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: Proliant 3000 won't reboot/shutdown

Dear Diane,

Do you have a 3rd party card in this server. Like an ATM card?
Next is to rename the CDRALW2K.sys driver to CDRALW2K.old. Restart the system. It will hang again with the blinking cursor. Power off the server and restart it. When you get into Windows again, restart and the system should restart or shut down normally.c Ths is due to Media Player.
Please keep me posted.

Thank you,

Mark
We are here for a good time, not a long time!

That fixed the reboot/shutdown problem. Should that file be replaced with another one? I'm now getting the "serivce cannot start" message because it can't find the file CDRALW2K.sys
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Hi Diane,
To resolve this you will need to edit the registry. Edit at your own risk.

The critical keys are in: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFCl-087002BEl0318}. In this section you will find two keys called "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters", and you will need to delete both of these keys and reboot in order to restore Windows 2000 to the default CD driver.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

That fixed the problem.

diane
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Glad I can help.

Mark
Steve Thomas_5
Occasional Visitor

I have the same problem.
I don't have the offending file that you speak of, so I tried the registry fix but it didn't work for me.
I have been getting a lot of PerfDisk events occuring (ID 1008) like one or two every second, maybe this is related. I think I may have just fixed this though with a tweak from microsoft:-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;226494

Do you have any other ideas, it's a real pain having to go to the server to restart it.