1748157 Members
4062 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000

David Shreffler

Proliant 3000

How do I get to the BIOS in the Proliant 3000??
Thank you,
David Shreffler
7 REPLIES 7
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

David,
Those 3000s have an F10 partition that gives you access to the settings. The F10 option might not be there if the server was not built with Smartstart.
If after the array initialization you don't see the F10 option (usually it follows the two beeps)...then you are going to have to boot to a Smartstart 5.X cd. From the cd you can access the SysConfig, array config and other utilites.
Ed Cox
David Shreffler

Thank you.
I did get the SmartStart CD to start.
It's saying to replace HDs 0,1,2,3,5 The only one that it indicates is working is 4. Is it normal for 5 of the 6 HDs to go out at one time? I ran the array configuration utility and it indicates also that all but #4 are bad. I have another drive cage from another 3000 that I can use to see if maybe the cage is bad. Other than that do you have any ideas what might have happened?
Thank you,
David Shreffler
Pryor Public Schools
Pryor, OK
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Holy cow...four drives out of 5? That doesn't sound right...
Can this server boot to the operating system? Or is it dead in the water?

Yeah...if you can swap this cage out with another...that would rule out a drive cage issue if the problem follows.

Do you get any post error messages on these drives after the array initializes?
And do you also see on the cd ..the Array Diagnostics Utility?
Ed
David Shreffler

I really appreciate your help. I have swapped drives around and the drives that are indicated as bad on the problem server are seen as OK on another server just like it. Five of the six slots show bad HDs. I also swapped the entire cage and the other computer with the cage from the broken computer and it responded the same. The drive cage from the good server worked fine in the problem server also.
I believe the board on the drive cage must be bad. Do you concur?? And can a drive cage for a server this old be found?
Thanks again,
David Shreffler
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

I concur...
Judging by the posts in this forum, there are still a ton of 3000s out there. Try HP first to see if the cage can be ordered. There should be a part number on the cage. Sometimes the cost might be too prohibitive and it might even be cheaper to buy an old 3000 for spare parts.
Good luck,
Ed
David Shreffler

To Ed Cox,
Just wanted you to konw I got a drive cage off of Ebay for $35 including shipping. It worked great and the server is up and running again. All of the drives were fine. I did lose the data but I had it backed up so everything is good. Just wanted you to know how it came out and thank you for your help.
David Shreffler
Pryor, OK
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Excellent!...ain't Ebay wonderful?