8482 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000R RAM

SOLVED
Go to solution
cmor1701d

Proliant 3000R RAM

I am working at a site that still has several 3000R servers running Windows NT4.0. I am trying to build a spare 3000R from several retired servers. How can I determine the full model number so I can find the correct RAM for this server?

We have tried several modules from the other servers but continue to get an error about using FAST EDO RAM.

Also, can anyone verify what banks need to be filled first, second, etc. I have found conflicting information on the HP site.

P.S. This is being done because one 3000R blue screens with an "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" after being patched with the NT4 Security Rollup. We apply PSP 6.1 prior to the patch which does update the 2DH controller driver. Again, only one server out of 5 has this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Seymour
5 REPLIES 5
e4services
Honored Contributor

Compaq ProLiant 3000R 6/550 Model Array
Maximum Memory: 4096MB
Standard Memory: 256MB removable
Slots: 8 (8 banks of 1)
Each memory slot can hold SDRAM, PC133 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.
SDRAM, PC133 ├в ┬в CL=3 ├в ┬в Registered ├в ┬в ECC ├в ┬в 133MHz ├в ┬в 3.3V ├в ┬в 64Meg x 72
Hot Swap Hard Drives
cmor1701d

That's great if the server is a Compaq ProLiant 3000R 6/550 Model Array.

How do tell if it's a 6/550 vs. a 6/300, 6/450, etc.?
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Hello, Seymour.

Your server should have a small decal in the front near the middle next to the drive rack. When you read the numbers you will figure what that is.

I bought memory on eBay for my 3000R. In the case top it shows the direction for installing memory. The part numbers should be there also. One I recall: 313617-B21 for 512mb.

URL to this system:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?тМй=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254910тМй=en&cc=us

Good Luck (I miss mine).
Sincerely, Mark
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Seymour,

I have put together a single document which covers all the Proliant 3000 models from 300Mhz PII upwards. The system board components like VRM's and memory differ between the different models however you can use the system serial number to determine which models you have and which parts correspond to that model.

The original Compaq serial numbers were 12 alphanumeric characters long and broken down into 3 sets of 4 characters.

The first 4 characters determined the manufacturing build date of the product, the second set of 4 characters determined the model and the last 4 characters were the unique production line number for that unit. So you can use the middle 4 characters of the Proliant 3000 serial number to determine its model and then compare it to the attached document. For each model, the corresponing group of model codes are listed.

For example if your server serial number was 8015BRZ31111 it is broken down into
8015 - Built in Erskine year 2000 week 15
BRZ3 - A Proliant 3000 (300 -333Mhz model)
1111 - Unique production line code

It the middle characters were BVX3 it would be a 400-450Mhz model etc. The document lists these codes against the component parts.

I hope this helps.

Brian
cmor1701d

Brian,

Thank you. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

We now have a new game plan as the rebuild in the existing server failed at the same point in the patch process. It would appear to be a hardware problem related to the 2DH controller. We are swapping that part with another server and will try a clean build and patch to see if that works or fails. It it works well replace the drives with the original drives and patch the OS. Then pray that we don't get the failure after patching again.

Thanks again.