1752795 Members
6055 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 350 G3

April Amey
Advisor

Proliant 350 G3

We have a Proliant 350 G3 with dual processors installed. It is running Netware 6.0 fully patched. Now, on the other 25 servers I upgraded to NW6 it put the CPQMPK multi-processor line in the Startup.ncf somewhere during the upgrade/patches- none of them had dual processors - so I deleted the line. This one HAS dual processors and the line wasn't put in. So, I was wondering if it should be put in.

Thanks!

April
5 REPLIES 5
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Netware 6.0 and the PL350 G3 (PIV proc) are both capable of hyperthreading.

You should use CPQACPI.PSM as the multiprocessor kernel in this configuration, regardless of the number of processors in the server.

This will allow you to take full advantage of hyperthreading as a performance boost.

You should apply the full NWCSP to install CPQACPI as there are a number of dependent support modules that need to be installed with it.

CPQMPK.PSM should only be used in non-hyperthreading configurations (PIII servers and back/NetWare 5.1 and back)

Cheers,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
April Amey
Advisor

Thank you very much for the quick, detailed reply. Looks like the server is setup correctly then as the CPQACPI config is running. I am trying to figure out why it keeps freezing several times a day since last week's upgrade from NW5.0 to NW6.0 / SP3+. The main difference between his server and the 26 others I've upgraded in the past 2 months is that his has dual processors. Thought that might be the problem, but I guess not.

Thanks for your time,

April Amey
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

The version of CPQACPI could be causing lockups.

There were problems with version 1.04; check the version and update if you need to.

Also, check that hyperthreading hasn't been disabled in the server's BIOS.

If this machine was running NetWare 5.x prior to the upgrade that's a possibility.

In that case, reset the F9 setup utility or run a clear NVRAM to get it back to defaults.

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
April Amey
Advisor

It's version 1.05 3/18/03. I'll have him run the F9 setup utility to see if it has been disabled. THANKS! April
April Amey
Advisor

Okay. We're still working on this issue. Apparently this Xeon server has only 1 processor, not 2 as originally thought. Novell's Monitor is showing 2 processors - which I assume is due to the CQPACPI.PSM (and CPQACA/CPQACMGR) loading in the startup.ncf.

So, I have 2 questions, just for clarification.

NetWare 6 / ML350 G3 Xeon / 1 processor - should it have the CPQACA/CPQACPI/CPQACMGR lines in the startup.ncf, and if so then I assume it's proper for Novell's Monitor to show 2 processors when there is actually only one?

NetWare 6 / ML370 G2 - PIII 1.266 GHZ single processor. Since it is a PIII I'm thinking it should just have the CPQMPK line in the startup.ncf (v1.06), but since it is NetWare 6 I was wondering if it should actually have the ACPI stuff instead?? Monitor is showing 2 processors with CPQMPK loaded at the moment (there's only one).

Thanks! Now that I just read about points I'll assign them....

April