108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 350 ML G1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Raffaele Castelli

Proliant 350 ML G1

Hello,

The server tries to start up but only gets as far as initilizing all the fans for about 30 seconds and then turns off. It keeps retrying the procssess over and over until I turn the power off from the plug.

Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmm..welcome to forums

remove all pci cards and extra options
if only one psu put it in other slot ensure power from wall socket is good and cables secure
reseat all dims use min configuration
if issue persists logical option is to

disconnect all drives and controllers if issue still persists next logical and cheapest option is to replace the psu

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Do you get anything on the screen?
Initializing fans, does that show up on the monitor or is it just that the fans start to spin and then they stop and then start again when the reboot happens?

If you get something on the monitor:
Does it always stop for example when it's trying to load the storage controller or so, that might give you a hint.

But as Mark wrote, running the server in minimal config is quite often a good way to start troubleshooting these kind of issues.
Raffaele Castelli

Nothing on the screen
Raffaele Castelli

I just was able to stop the automatic on and off cycling of the server by removing all the RAM.... When I put the RAM back in, even just one SIMM it goes back to the Automatic on and off cycling.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Okay, well have you tried to disconnect dvd, hdds, extra pci-cards etc?

How many CPUs do you have? More than one? Try with only one. Can you try to move the PSU to the other slot if you only have one also?

Have you tried to clear the BIOS/NVRAM?

It's the DIP switch and DIP #2 that needs to be set to clear CMOS.
Raffaele Castelli

I have narrowed it down to the server feature board p/n 216110-001. It seems that when I unplug the 19 pin ribbon cable from the board it stops the cycling on/off and when I plug it back i it returns to cycling on/off. A replacement board goes for over $400.00. Not sure if this old doog is worth the fix?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Doubt that :/

The card has the embedded NIC, storage controller, graphics card. Seems like an easy fix to try to replace that as it replaces most things.. but maybe instead of paying $400 it's more useful to get another server and then you'll have one with warranty.
Raffaele Castelli

Thanks for all your advice.