cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 3k SmartStart vs.Diskettes Config Problems

Suzanne Michelle
Occasional Visitor

Proliant 3k SmartStart vs.Diskettes Config Problems

I have an "old" PL3k, w/1GB ram, 2 PII??mhz processors ... it boots to an expired trial version of W2k3, and I want to (a) reinstall the CPQ config utils / sys partition (prior owner couldn't be bothered), and (b) install W2k from licensed disks (will be workgroup server). Config diskettes from another CPQ work (don't know what version, sorry, but old), and I downloaded the 5.5 SmartStart Image, and created a CD ... on a regular PC, I insert CD, choose create config diskettes, and then it says "This is not a SmartStart CD ..." I looked at the SS CD from my NEW servers, and they were labeled "SmartStart" (I had called mine SmartStart3000) ... so ... I made yet another SS CD, SAME error message. So ...

I can't seem to create the disks, I _can_ config the server slightly (from the old diskettes), but ... I need to put back the utils, then the OS (I could boot from diskettes to just do the OS, but I want to raid-config the four 9.1GB drives at the hardware level & keep W2k out of mix) ... Should I use the ERASE util (I downloaded that)? What then will the SS CD do? Or do I have the wrong stuff? I can't seem to boot from the CD, but the diskette booting is fine (IDE is supposed to boot "second" ... I set other 3 controllers to 3rd, 4th, 5th ... but no luck). There seems to be no hidden OS files on the CD ... is that what I need?

I _did_ download all the parts docs, and I do think all the parts are working fine (can't see if CD is actually readable on server, as I can't boot the W2k3 OS ... no one remember the password ... but CD _is_ readable on other PCs / servers ...

Server will be used for testing purposes, don't say "get a new server" is not an option -- and this old box will be peachy for my purposes (it's older sibling worked fine for 10 years (first 5 prod, 2nd 5 dev/test), and is still going, but too slow, drives too small (remember when 2GB was ROOM!) -- but orig CDs are ... sigh ... gone).

Please help, all clues welcome ...
5 REPLIES
Stephen Grimmer
Trusted Contributor

Re: Proliant 3k SmartStart vs.Diskettes Config Problems

Are you able to boot any cdrom? Like the w2k cdrom?

Suzanne Michelle
Occasional Visitor

No, I have not tried to boot the W2K CDRom ... I can try that ... but (assuming I can boot) ... while I _do_ know how to repartition plain ol' PCs, and have set up other servers, I don't know how to allow room for a System Partition that's not already there. I guess I had expected something of a Partitioning Utility on the SmartStart CD.

So ... if I _can_ boot, what sort of partitioning to do? I had planned to do data guarding across the four 9.1 GB, so the box could stand a one drive outage.

Tx for your time.
SM
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I would recommend making sure you can't boot from any cd. If you can't then this could be a problem with the cdrom drive. I would recommend first clearing the NVRAM on the server to make sure it's set for the default boot order (floppy, cd, then hard drive).

You can clear NVRAM on this server by taking the side/top cover off (depending on whether it's a tower or rack model). Turn switch #6 on in the maintenance switch bank (on the left hand side of the system board), power the server up, after approximately 30 seconds or so power the server off, turn the switch back off, then boot the server up and let it try to boot off the cd. If it still doesn't, then it's likely a cdrom drive problem.

You HAVE TO have a Smart Start cd to reconfigure certain, earlier, array controllers.

How are you getting the option to create diskettes? Is this coming from the autorun menu off of the Smart Start cd, after the license agreement? One of the mistakes I've seen people make is to do the equivalent of copying the iso image to a blank cd, instead of burning the actual image. The reason I ask is because you normally don't get the option to rename the cd if it's an iso image.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Suzanne Michelle
Occasional Visitor

I get to this option by sticking the CD in my desktop PC ... but THEN, it won't create diskettes because it says it needs a SmartStart CD in the drive. Does the darn label on the CD make a diff? On first CD I had SmartStart3000 ... on 2nd try, I used just SmartStart ... should I do yet a 3rd ISO extraction and call the CD "SmartStart CD" as a label? I can read the created CD perfectly well on other PCs & Servers (I have two other HP servers in same rack as the 3K, they're twins & fine, but their SS CD is way too new (ML530's fully loaded), says it has nothing rel'd to 3K box on it).

At present am looking for more info on "Array Config Util" rather than "Array Diagnostic Util" ... and seeing if I can scrounge an older CPQ SS CD from somewhere.

Sigh.

Thanks for your time!

SM
Bryan Easley
Occasional Advisor

I did look at your post and replies prior to issuing my own request as the problems looked similar. By no means am I an expert on these older servers, but here is my 2 cents worth. On the CD on mine I found I had a bad CD-ROM (actually 2 in a row!) In some of the posts here and in a response to an earlier post of mine I found that the CD drive (and presumably other IDE drives) must be set to Cable Select.
My current approach to my own server issue is one of KISS. I am taking it down to the least of components needed to get it running and then add on components.
Hope this helps and good luck in your Quest!
Quite right, a new server is NOT an option!