Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 400 experiencing boot problems

Mike Gale
Advisor

Re: Proliant 400 experiencing boot problems

Thanks Chongkan,

I've had the system apart for a few days.

Does the system have to boot to use the ADU, or can I easily run it from a CD / floppy?
Mike Gale
Advisor

I removed the SCSI HDD and installed in another machine.

On that other machine I found the drive worked. There were ten system driver files that were corrupted but checkdisk was able to recover them.

These were the ten last drivers in an alphabetical list in the ...\drivers directory (NT 4).

There was also a single *.tmp file, first in the directory list similarly damaged and unreachable from the filing system.

There was some issue with a file that I think is associated with anti-virus updates (McAfee) but no other files appeared to be affected.

Does those files indicate any particular sort of failure?

On re-installation I get a "non-system disk" and "disk read error" message so still not working.

I guess the problem may be:
1) MBR / Boot sector issue
2) Cable (though I've tried 3 alternate port arrangements).
3) SCSI / multifunction card
4) Mother board.

At this stage it may be that my only available option is to check MBR and use one of those repair tools. Any suggestions about which to try?
Highlighted
Mike Gale
Advisor

I ran a product on the machine that checks, and saves to floppy, MBR details etc.. (This was an evaluation version so should not have written anything to the disc.)

After that (and a few days shut-down) the machine started first time. Wish I knew exactly why, the previous start bombed.

Time will tell if it keeps working well, but so far it looks good (seemingly only two damaged files).

So it runs with the NTFS of Windows 2003 (presumably) under NT.
Mike Gale
Advisor

The problem seems resolved, see details in thread.