Occasional Advisor

Proliant 4000 - Can Not Clear IML Events

- Proliant 4000
- Server is running v4.6 for Management Agents
- Monitored server with IM7
- communitiy string set correctly
- SNMP sets are all enabled
- SNMP configured and working correctly

Issue: Can not clear IML events. Have rebooted server. I tried installing IM4.2 to monitor the server and attempt to clear logs. I have also attempted access to the IML via the webagents. The client does not want the Management Agents on the server to be updated. Any ideas on how to clear the IML Events as the server shows a degraded status in insight?
10 REPLIES 10
Jen_19

Re: Proliant 4000 - Can Not Clear IML Events

What happens exactly?

You clear the IML events out of the Integrated Management Log Viewer?

Reboot the server and they are still there?

Do they delete at all when you clear them withnin the application?

What operating system are you using?

You're using 4.6 agents but monitoring the server with Insight Manager 7?
You might want to advise the client that if you use one uptodate application to monitor the server and use outdated applications on the server there are bound to be conflicts.
Chad_57
Occasional Advisor

Jen,

Thank you for the quick response. I am unable to view the IML locally on the server. I can view the events remotely via Insight Manager or via the web agents. Using Insight Manger v7 or v4.2 I get a msg. simalar to the following when attempting to clear the event:

- Unable to clear the event, please verfiy your communitiy string is correct and has read write access. Also verify SNMP sets are unabled on the server.

If I reboot the server, the entries are still there and I am still unable to clear them.

NT4.0 SP6a is the operating system.

The client plans on replacing this server (hopefully soon) as it is obsolete. They do not want to have the management agents updated due to the risk.
Bill Wood_3
Respected Contributor

You mentioned not being able to clear the log locally, but have you tried the following?

Start>Programs>Compaq System Tools>Compaq Integrated Management Log Viewer> LOG(in the menu at the top - Log/ViewHelp)>Clear All Entries

Also, are you logging into the webagents as Administrator? If not, please do so.
Chad_57
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Bill,

I am unable to access the IML locally as it was not installed with this version of the management agents. The viewer simply doesn't exist as an .exe or within the Ctrl panel etc... The Compaq System tools are not an option under the programs menu. Also, I am logging into the WebAgents as administrator. Still no luck.
Kevin Harlan
Valued Contributor

What you need to do is go into the SNMP service, and set the community string properties (I believe the string is "cpqPublic") to "READ/CREATE".

This will allow you to mark items as repaired, and/or clear items from the log (via the management agents).
Chad_57
Occasional Advisor

The community string is correct. It is different than the one you listed for security reasons, also it is already set as READ/CREATE.
Bill Wood_3
Respected Contributor

You should be able to clear the Event logs with Compaq diags available via or the Smart Start CD during boot. Once in diags choose test computer and mark all events as corrected.

I all else fails, you can clear NVRAM with switch bank SW2 position 6. You power off the server and put the switch in the on position. Then, power up the server until it says that NVRAM has be invalidated. Next, power off the server and return the switch to the default position. Finally, power back on and run the Compaq System Configuration utility from Smart Start CD.
Chad_57
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Bill,

This is definately the type of answer I am looking for, I have scheduled an outage window for next weekend to perform this work. I will update the forum with the results. Cross your fingers.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You should be able to install and run the locally executable IML Log Viewer without requiring a reboot: http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18721.html

Additionally, we would strongly recommend updating the agents to the current version.