1748118 Members
3653 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 4500

dan_201

Proliant 4500

I was recently given a fully loaded Proliant 4500 (built 1995) and am interested in finding out if it is upgradable using current hardware.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
David Lochhead
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant 4500

4 Procs and 4 HDDs and 1 GB ECC and what ever else you have in it basically.

Regards

David
dan_201

Thanks for the reply.
Sicne I'm new to servers, and server operation, I plan on in the near future learning about servers through upgrading this unit using linux and apache software. I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, which I think I will enjoy.

MY QUESTION WAS: what motherboard is appropriate for upgrade, since the one in this old case is only 100mz? Once I know the motherboard, I can find memory, processors, HD, etc., unless, that is, there is something I'm not aware of.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Thanks
herb_4
Advisor

i have 2 of these servers and starting on the voyage myself. the max processor is 166. i am blessed, i have 2 servers with 4 processors that are 133 with 2 mb of processor cash. i have been collecting parts and now have drives and working them up they are going to be my training servers to learn more about multi processing servers and administration.

attached is a pdf with system details
dan_201

Herb,
Thanks for the response. It seems we are on the same track. I will be doing the same over the near future. I was able to find some manuals on the Compaq/HP web site which explain some detail of the workings for this box, but nothing as to its upgrade, or if it is even worthwhile trying to upgrade.
Was hoping someone on this site had soem info on the process. I can use ti as-is, but seem sthat it would be awful slow. But would that really matter if it is only a server.

Thanks,
Dan
Thanks
herb_4
Advisor

once you put a multi processing osa on the server, it will increase your speed 4 fold, keep an eye on ebay and you will find parts and processor cards. ask anybody selling parts if they have what you are looking for, i have found several parts i would not have otherwise this way, and saved a lot of cash in the process. as i said before mine are 133 with 2MB of cash and to tell you the truth with just one processor working and runing win98 right now before my next upgrade, it runs as fast as my 500 mhz amd. but 2mb of processor cash will do that, just wait for server 2002, or server 2003. as for the question of it it good to upgrade, yes always but withen reason, look at the expence involved to what your using it for. i bought 3 4500 servers for 36 dollars, locally, and now have great machines, i had to get hdd's for them but it was a great deal. look and ask for processor cards, it is the best way. if you e-mail me directly i will let you know if i see any.

ford_devel_dog@yahoo.com

herb

p.s. did the pfd i sent help any?