ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748279 Members
4135 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 5000 Power Supply

Marc Guyer_1

Proliant 5000 Power Supply

I've had a recently purchased Proliant 5000(R) chugging along for several months until yesterday when it decided to power down. It tries to start up every 20-30 seconds or so but then just shuts down after the power and drive lights flash a little bit. All fans spin briefly at this point except for the P/S fan next to the power cord plug. I'm assuming the power supply is dead. However, this thing has the 'redundant' P/S... I've unplugged the narrow ribbon cable from the main board right next the the big blue P/S plug. That seems to engage the 'redundancy' system and allows it to power up but I'm afraid it also disables the diagnostic capabilities of the thing.

Is this how it indicates that the P/S needs to be replaced or could something else be wrong? Will it hurt to just run it with the narrow ribbon unplugged?

Thanks for your help!
3 REPLIES 3
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 5000 Power Supply

if the system does not stay on, and there is no fan in the power supply, it's a good sign that the power supply has failed.
Marc Guyer_1

Yes, I get that 'part' of the power supply has probably failed and really should be replaced if I want to do it right... But since it's a 'redundant' power supply, it will run with the narrow ribbon unplugged. My question is - is it a problem to run it with the narrow ribbon unplugged? I'm guessing 'yes' but what problems could I run into?
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

if the system works, then it is fine.