Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 5000 R and RedHat 9.0

Sven Geschke
Frequent Advisor

Proliant 5000 R and RedHat 9.0

Hi

Just bought a 5000R on Ebay and would like to install RedHat 9.0 (Shrike). The configuration is as follows:

- 4 CPUs
- 1 GB RAM
- 2 SmartArray 2/P Controllers (at the moment I am in the processupdating to release 4.50)

The internal bus of controller 1 is connected to an internal RAID-1, the external bus to bus one of an external storage cabinet (HP A3311A)

The internal bus of controller 2 will be unused, the external bus to bus two of the HP A3311A.

The A3311A will contain 4 18,1 GB Disks (RAID-0)

Can anyone think of any hurdles or hardships connected with that configuration? :-))
***ceterum censeo redmondinium esse delendam***
2 REPLIES
Sven Geschke
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant 5000 R and RedHat 9.0

Issue solved, ticket closed! :-)

Thanks to Richard Black of HP who has a GREAT website about this issue.

http://www.cpqlinux.com

By the way... Shrike already solves some of the problems mentioned on this website, especially when it comes to partitioning and bootsequence, but the overall approach is simply PERFECT!

Rgds
Sven
***ceterum censeo redmondinium esse delendam***
John Elliott_4
Occasional Visitor

Re: Proliant 5000 R and RedHat 9.0

I came across this website when I started trying to install Redhat 9 on a Compaq Proliant 5000, but I have been unable to get it to work properly. The instructions given for the Proliant 5000 are for redhat 7.2. I have tried installing the cpqarray driver from the drvblock.img diskette, but it just constantly tells me that no suitable devices were found, and it is irritating.

If you would be so kind as to maybe write our what steps you took, I would be greatful. I have 2 PP 2000MHz processors, 256 Meg RAM, and 1 SMART-2/p controller with 5 drives attahced, divided into 2 arrays, and a CD-ROM attahced to the onboard SCSI controller.

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I am not installing a stock RH 9. I am trying to install Clarkconnect, which is directly based on RH 9, with most of the extras taken out (X, things not needed on a server) and a web-based administartion interface.