4047 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 5000 not starting

Philipp Stummer_1
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 5000 not starting

Hi there!

I manged to get my fingers on a quite old Proliant 5000. I had already one and will use the second one as a spare-part.

Today I tried to get the server up and running but all it does is a short hum (~2 or 3 seconds) and then powers itself of. I had this problem many times befor with other old proliants but I don't know exactly how to solve it!
Could anybody please help me?

I tried to change the CPU-Boards (I have 4 of them), I tried to change the Memory-Boards (I also have 4 of them), i even tried to change the Mainboard.
Unfortunately nothing helped :-(

Philipp
6 REPLIES 6
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 5000 not starting

2-3 seconds sound for me like a power problem, swap power supply or power supply backplane if that server has one, or might some cable not seat well enough
Philipp Stummer_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi!
I tought of this problem. I change the powersupply as soon as possible but I don't think it will solve the trouble.
When i start the server with both CPU and both Memory-boards pluged in it runs for about 2 seconds. When i start the server with no or only one CPU-Board installed only the main fan moves a little bit. I assume that something on the backplane checks if there is everything installed and after that check completes it starts. When some of these components don't "answer" as expected the server won't start.

Philipp
Philipp Stummer_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi again!

I manged to get the proliant up and running again - don't ask me how ...

When i insert the smartstart CD i get th folling error message on the screen:
"The Enviroment Variable Jumper is set. Please remove this jumper in order to use SmartStart"

Well - Who know's where this jumper is????

Besides the spelling mistake in the error message is a littlebit amusing :-)

Philipp
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Would it do same it NVRAM cleared ?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Would it do same if NVRAM cleared ?
Philipp Stummer_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi!

I've cleared the NVRAM several times without success.
Maybe I disconnect the battery for a few hours. That has to do something :-)

The interesting thing is, the server did start before I settled it into the new housing. After that it didn't start (probably the defective powersupply there). After that i settled it back to the old housing again and now there is the problem with this environment jumper.

Another question: It is possible to get the duplex-function of the SCSI-Subsystem to work? I have to RAID-Controllers but don't know if I need another backplane of the Hotplug-Enclosure.

Philipp