108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ryan_149
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 5000

hi i just got a Proliant 5000 its pretty old, it has no os atm, but when i start the system it says it can't find any of the SCSI hard drives and says there is 0 of them but i see 4 of them. so i was wonder if there was a way i could get the bios to recognize these drives or a way to configure them so the computer sees them. also i know they work because at start up the activity light on them turns on and you can hear them spinning up, thanx for the help.
10 REPLIES 10
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Proliant 5000

The system may have a Smart Array controller. In that case the 'normal' SCSI controller won't see the drives.

During self test do you see a message that says something about '1 logical drive installed' ? In that case a Smart Array controller found a valid RAID configuration and installed a logical drive.

If not - check cabling. Maybe the system had a RAID controller but they removed it before they gave you the server and now the drive cage isn't connected to anything.
Daniel Thrun
Valued Contributor

Greetings. Another option to try is to insert a compaq Smartstar CD and use it to boot. During the boot process on the CD it will go through the hardware check and setup. IF there is a raid controller it will then allow you to configure a Disk Array into a logical drive. Once that is done you can then (and I would) have it install the System Configuration Utility F10. IF there is not a raid controller, it will be allot harder to install and OS, but it can be done. Also as stated before I would open the server and make sure that the Disk Cage IS attached to a Raid Controller or onboard SCSI port...
Ryan_149
Occasional Advisor

what does this raid controller look like and where do i find this compaq Smartstar CD?
Ryan_149
Occasional Advisor

Here's what it says at start up

Slot 4 Compaq SMART-2/P Array Controller (version 1.36) 0 Logical Drives
1785-Slot 4 Drive Array Not Configured
Run Compaq Array Configuration Utility

Ryan_149
Occasional Advisor

btw yes there is a raid controller, its that long skinny board with the batteries on it right?
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Yes, that's it.

The SmartStart CD comes with the server. It is used to configure the system and to install the operating system including all drivers and utilities. The latest version which supports the Proliant 5000 is v5.50.

Since the Proliant 5000 is a system with EISA slots it requires the EISA configuration program and that is too large to fit into ROM. So the system uses a special system partition on the hard drive to store the configuration program. If such a system partition exists you can access it during power on self test by pressing F10 when prompted or when the cursor blinks in the upper right screen corner.

Since the Smart Array controller reports 0 logical drives there can't be a system partition.

First you must configure the system setup, then the array, then create a system partition, then install the OS. Smartstart takes you through these steps.

But you can download Proliant 5000 drivers and utilities from this web site:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/1109.html?lang=en&cc=us

But without a SmartStart CD you'll need a floppy disk based version of the array configuration utility (ACU) and I don't see it there :-(

The newer Smart Array controllers contain a BIOS which can do basic RAID configuration but not the 2P.
Ryan_149
Occasional Advisor

know of any place i can order this cd or buy it, or download it and burn it to a cd?
Ryan_149
Occasional Advisor

or any of you who do have the cd willing enough to send it over the internet?
Ryan_149
Occasional Advisor

anybody know?