1752793 Members
5992 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 5000

William M
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 5000

I am atempting to make a linux server out of an proliant 5000. My problem is that when I try to upload redhat 9 it says I dont have enough ram whan I bought 256k of new ram.
The server now has four processors and four hard drives. I have tried sevral raid configurations sevral ram configurations and even tried to load mandrake linux on the server with no luck.

Any suggestions would be much obliged.
3 REPLIES 3
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

How much ram does your machine see?
I guess you know you have to update the memory by 4 dimms at a time.

Leon
William M
Occasional Contributor

It shows 262144k on startup. Ive been doing some reading today and came up with simalar problems elseware.I tried using
"mem=exactmap mem=0x9f000@0 mem=
0xff00000@0x100000" (the amount of memory I have converted into Hex format)for installation, and redhat 9 didint like exactmap so instead I used "linux mem=0x9f000@0 mem= 0xff00000@0x100000" and that seemed to worked but then It couldint find the cdrom. Now the cdrom is a scsi and that might also be part of the problem. I also read that there is a "bug" in linux that wont let Compaq servers have acess to the cdrom during boot, so I got that image file "rhl9dl.img" and used linux mem. now it gets to "uncompressing Linux ... Ok, booting the kernel." and hangs.

Now im not sure what to do because I havent found any mention of a problem quite like this anywhere.

Thanks for replying.
Will
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Sorry Will but I can't help you out with Linux. Abracadabra for me....

Leon