cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 5000

chuck_48
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 5000

I have a proliant 5000 that was given to me.
It will not do anything at power up except blink the lights once then loose power, even to fans etc.
If I disconnect the smaller of the two cables from the power supply, it will power up but not boot. Is the motherboard bad? Or am I missing something. The unit was partially dismantled when I got it, so I'm not sure that all of the parts are even in it.
8 REPLIES
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 5000

Hello Chuck,
Please make sure that all the cables are connected properly. Also make sure that the CPU/RAM etc are sitting in properly. Also please reseat the array controller if you have any.

Regards,
chuck_48
Occasional Advisor

I have removed and re-installed just about every component possible in this machine, several times (including the power supply-I have 3), just trying different things.
So I'm pretty sure everything has a good connection.
Whether it is all in the right spot is a different matter. I've tried to find a schematic of the inner layout of the unit, to make sure it is all in the right places and all the parts are there, but have been unsuccessful in that too.
How I figured out that disconnecting one of the power supply wires will let the unit fire up is beond me. I had actually given up on it for a few months.
Thank you for responding.
chuck_48
Occasional Advisor

I could try taking a photo and making a list of components/part numbers if that would help anyone.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Chuck,
I have a Maintenance & Service Guide for PL5000 which is too large to post at the forum site. If you can email me your email address then I can try emailing it to you and then you can try to get your problem resolved.
My email address: sunil.jerath@hp.com

Regards,
chuck_48
Occasional Advisor

I guess you were right. I reseated all of the cards and the machine started. It made it all the way through testing the 4 hard drives but stopped after that. I'm not getting any video right now either, but, searching this site, I did find a couple things to try. I'll keep you updated.
Thanks again.
Chuck
Jake ~zippo~
Frequent Advisor

please try to clear CMOS with following instructions:
power off system,
flip switch 6 (configuration memory clear) of SW1,
switch on system and wait for one minute,
switch off systen,
flip switch 6 back,
Power on the server again.
Freedom is offered to man and given to him as a task.
chuck_48
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Jake, I had just tried that before I logged onto the website here. I guess I should have looked at the inside of the case cover sooner.......lots of helpful stuff right there...hehehe...duuuhhhhh.
It is loading the Smart-Start software as I type. Hopefully I don't screw this part up too.
I keep getting the message that the processor has failed but it lets me continue to try to load. I would think that if the processor was bad it wouldn't let me go any farther. Could this be left over from before I cleared the CMOS?
Thanks, Chuck
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Chuck,
Once you finish configuring the system please let me know if you get the bad CPU message. To fix this you will have to run System configuration by going in F10. When prompted whether the failed CPU has been replaced, Just say YES. This should take care of the error. Please feel free to drop a line if you still have that error.

Regards,