cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 5000

David_971
Advisor

Proliant 5000

I've got windows 2000 server sp4 and after the latest support pack available was applied, when i try to restart the server it shuts down and stays on a black screen with a blinking cursor on the top. Same also happens if I shut down - its supposed to have a box saying 'its now safe to turn your computer off'.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Proliant 5000

Check all firmware. Make sure you have the latest firmware.

-Ross
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
David_971
Advisor

Yep it has all the latest firmware on it, even the disks. I have applied no MS patches - only the windows 2000 sp4 cd was loaded on. I applied the latest support pack availalbe for this server. Thanks for the link, i'm taking a look now.

Thanks!
David_971
Advisor

Unfortunantly all the solutions in there don't work. I tried disabling disk performance, installing the shutdown utility and I don't have that video card installed. I have the latest bios and I do not have Windows Media Play 7 installed so it can't be the adaptec plugin! I tried disabling my anti-virus services before shutting down and this does not effect it either. It will shut down properly in safe mode so it must be some driver/service that is causing this. I'll see if I can find an old video driver because my server enginner seems to think that this is likely to be the cause.

Anyone got any more ideas?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

... It will shut down properly in safe ...

check this

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266169
... CAUSE
This behavior can occur when you have a third-party OEM device driver or service installed on your computer ....
David_971
Advisor

Problem is that they dont seem to have the third party driver detector anymore. The graphics driver is provided by Microsoft so surely this is compatible? Picks it up as a Cirrus Logic 64xx/542x Compatible Graphics adapter. I can't replace it with VGA.sys because I have no oemsetup.ini in the ini folder! Looks like i'm gonna have to do it the hard way and mess about with profiles.
David_971
Advisor

It was the PC anyhere driver that caused this in my case. The driver AW_HOST5.sys in PC Anywhere hangs the server on shutdown so that it can not shut down or reboot. This affects the performance logging utility which builds up logs in the system32 folder because it can not delete them. Now the problem is, how I get PC anywhere to work properly as I have uninstalled it now.
David_971
Advisor

And here's the fix for anyone else with this problem:

Solution:
To fix this problem, the registry must be modified.

To edit the registry

1. Close pcAnywhere.
2. Click Start > Run.
3. In the Run dialog box type:

regedit
4. Click OK.
5. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\awlegacy
6. In the right-hand pane, Double-click the Start entry. The "Edit DWORD value" dialog appears.
7. Change the "Value Data" to 0 (Zero), then click OK.
8. Close the Registry Editor.
9. Restart the computer.

Other workaround
Try this procedure if the steps above do not fix the problem.

To disable awlegacy

1. Open the Windows Device Manager. On the desktop, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Hardware tab.
3. Click Device Manager.
4. Click View > Show Hidden Devices.
5. Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers.
6. Right-click awlegacy, and then click Disable.
7. Click Yes, despite the Windows warning that the device may no longer function.
8. Restart the computer.