ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753613 Members
5866 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 530 ML single to daul proc upgrade

Ron Henry

Proliant 530 ML single to daul proc upgrade

Originally had a single 1gig proc SL4HF upgraded to Matched Pair Compaq Intel P3 Xeon 1000Mhz 1Ghz SL4HF S2. Now I get an error amber light on the Proc 1 Slot 0 (not 2) slot. Tried all three procs in same slot single and dual config but still get amber light on the first slot. Did the slot give up the ghost or does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

after CPU swap had you run F10 system Partition for HW update
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Ron,

Occasionally on G1 systems a CPU may fail due to bad connections or some other problem. When it does you get a critical error which needs to be cleared manually before it will boot properly. Even though you may have fixed the problem by reseating, it is registered as a critical error and won't clear itself. In the G2 and above systems this can be done in the Rom Based Setup Utility (RBSU) by pressing F9 and choosing "Set CPU Corrected" but in the G1 systems you have to run the System Configutaion Utility and clear it.

Try the following:-

Check that you have the latest BIOS installed for your ML530 G1.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17426.html

Go into the System Configuration Utility by pressing F10 when the cursor jumps to the top right of the screen. If you don't have a system partition then use a Smartstart CD to get to the SCU. At the first screen of the SCU press CTRL-A to enter Advanced mode.
You should be presented with a screen stating that you are entering advanced mode.
After that you should get a message stating that a critical error occured and asking if you want to correct it. Do so and make sure it clears the error.

Exit the SCU and reboot. Hopefully this will have resolved the issue.

Regards,

Brian
Ron Henry

Here's what occurred. Original the server had 1 1Gig Xeon Proc and 896Meg Mem. This ran fine as I loaded Redhat ZOD on the system and all appeared to be well. I decided to add a proc and bought a matched set of Xeon 1 Ghz (SL4HF) same eveything as original. When I had installed Redhat I switched the slow inteernal IDE out for a SCSI Rom which worked fine.

Intially when I installed the procs it said proc 2 was bad. I juggled these around and that went away but then proc 1 was bad. I get this now no matter which of the three procs is installed in slot 1.

Now Proc 1 is dead, hitting F10 makes does nothing and this thing won't boot from either IDE or SCSI drive although it will recognize if I have a floppy in that drive. I removed all cards and still nothing. Proc 1 stat LED glows amber. Any thoughts? This defies 12+ years IT exp (no Compaq though) Thanks for any help... "Dead in the water"