1753436 Members
4884 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 5500 + 431 Smart Array

Alan Chan_2
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 5500 + 431 Smart Array

I have Proliant 5500 with Smart Array 431. The system cannot detect the 431 raid card. Problem i do not have the Smart disk and neither i have any disc for the 431 card. How do i configure the 431 to work with the 5500 server
11 REPLIES 11
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 5500 + 431 Smart Array

Hello alan,
You need System configuration utility which can be downloaded from the following link:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

Please move the controller to a different slot and then cold boot the server with the first diskette of the set of four you would be making by downloading the above utility. Assuming you would be loading W2K here is the software support pack:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17750.html

Regards,
Alan Chan_2
Occasional Advisor

Sunil,

Thank very much. I will test it on Monday.
However i would like to give you what i have found so far. When the system boot up, it said no SCSI device. That i believe i need to update the bios in order to recognise the 431 card. The system has 4 x PIII 500 Xeon CPU. I have the bios is P12 11/08/2000 which may be the lastest bios available. Anyway the system just cannot detected the 431 device.
Alan Chan_2
Occasional Advisor

I have got the 2.58A configuration utilite already. I boot up the machine with the 431 card on it. When i went into the system configuration, i could not see the 431 card on it. by the way, i will install Redhat Linux on it
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello alan,
Yes you have everything uptodate already. Therefore, the only other alternative you have is to move the controller to a different slot and if you still don't see it then it's a bad controller unfortunately.

Regards,
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

The 'no scsi drive' message should come from the self test of the internal scsi controller.

To get the 431 running you'll have to run the array configuration utility. During self test it doesn't report connected physical drives but reports configured logical drives. If the controller has not been configured then it reports 0 logical drives.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Alan,
Irrespective of the OS you're suppose to see SA431 upon POST alongwith it's firmware. If you don't even see it during POST then there is definitely a problem with the controller.

Regards,
Alan Chan_2
Occasional Advisor

Can i get the array configuration utilite for Smart Array 431 so i can make sure the card is dead!
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Alan,
If it is not showing at POST then it's dead for sure. ACU is not going to make it appear in POST. Also ACU is on your Smart Start CD.

Regards,
Alan Chan_2
Occasional Advisor

Dear Sunil,

Yes you are right, the smart Array 431 was dead. I got a new replacement, now when i start the machine, it can deduct.
However the problem is that i cannot configure the raid disk as boot device and require a floppy disk to boot up. So i assume i need to install some driver at bios level in order to recongnise the raid disk device at boot level??