1752817 Members
3892 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 5500 - PIII Xeon 1.0GHz processors

Rich_79

Proliant 5500 - PIII Xeon 1.0GHz processors

Hi,

I have in my posession a 5500 server with 2 PII 500MHz processors in already. I also have 2 PIII Xeon 1.0GHz processors.

Can anyone tell me whether these processors are compatible with this server?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Leonard Davison
Frequent Advisor

I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
The PIII 500 is a 100mhz SECC chip and the PIII 1Ghz is 133 495 Pin SECC which is different.

Voltages are going to be different too so the VRM's won't work....
Rich_79

ok thanks for that. Didn't think they would go in, but it's nice to have a second opinion.
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi

the proliant 5500 will NOT accept processors faster than 550 mhz. theoretically it could support 700 and 900 mhz versions - because the have a 100 mhz front side bus.

however, the bios checks the cpu-id and will not support faster processors than 550 mhz.

all you will get is the following:

"unsupported processor - system halted"

sorry, but that is how it is.

best regards
ernesto
Rich_79

hi ernst,

Thanks for your information.

Do you know if it is possible to get a new motherboard for the 5500 that supports the processors?
e4services
Honored Contributor

No it is not possible, the motherboards are unique in form. BUT it IS possible to purchase a cpu upgrade kit where you can obtain significantly faster performance (up to 1.4GHz) from your server by upgrading to Intel Pentium III-S├в ┬в ("Tualatin" core, 512KB L2 cache) PIII/XEON-s processors. As low as $699 for Dual 1.1GHz and $259 for single 1.4
Hot Swap Hard Drives
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi rich

you will not find another systemboard for the proliant 5500 (nor any other proliant) that gives you the unique proliant features like managability, performance and reliability.
----------------------------------------
maybe you find a systemboard that closely fits, but how do you connect to power, etc ??
----------------------------------------
some vendors offer (wonder)-sockets that accept cpus with another pin-layout. but the compaq bios will NOT ALLOW other processors than the ones originally supported by compaq.

best regards
ernesto

ps: i joined compaq in 1989 and was (until 2002) the author and designer of the EMEA proliant technology trainings.