ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748081 Members
5215 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 5500 won't boot

Aditya Phadke

Proliant 5500 won't boot

I have 2 Proliant 5500's that are having similar problems. On both, there were failure messages.

Server 1: A fan failed, so I replaced it
Server 2: On boot it gave an error initializing the SmartArray 3200 card, so after multiple tries, I pulled the card and reseated it.

Now both servers, when I turn the power button on, the drives lights flash once, the keyboard flashes, all the lights on the Smart Array Card are lit up, the lights on the power supply are green (so i don't think it is a power supply issue) and the fans come on, and none of the interlock lights are on, but the system does not go through the boot cycle at all...no ram test, no warm up, nothing...and the monitor does not get any signal (i.e it goes into sleep mode).

I have tried re-seating the cards and checking the cables but no response.

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Deeble Tonkin
Regular Advisor

Hi
Had one with the same symptoms the other week. As yours but also no display on IMU. Replacing the peripheral board solved it, the ROM is located on this board guess that was the cause as so little happens at power up.
Worth reseating first also making sure the ROM is pushed firmly in it's socket.
Aditya Phadke

i tried reseating every card, no response.
Chanler Childs
Frequent Advisor

I'm pretty sure the 5500 has diagnostic LED's. (look on the cover for the positions and errors) Make sure those are off. Double check and make sure everything is seated (cpu's, cpu terminators, cpu power modules, ram, ram riser card, system riser card) If that doesn't do anything, take all of the expansion boards out and see if it'll boot.
Devin Colbert

I am having the same problem. Blank LCD along with no booting. The interlocks are working as well as the fans. I checked every connection making sure everything was seated properly. No improvement. I don't have any diagnostic lights on except in the drive bays. Bays 1 and 2 have green diag lights on. Bay 6 has a red LED on. I also noticed that the CD would constantly be trying to boot. If I pressed the eject button the tray would pop out and pull itself back in. The CD ROM light would flash steady the entire time the 5500 was running. I disconnected all expansion boards as well as the CD rom and SCSI control cables just trying to get the motherboard to boot into BIOS, no response. Any ideas?