1748129 Members
3645 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 6000 Hangs After Windows 2000 Installation

Vijay Dogra_1
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 6000 Hangs After Windows 2000 Installation

I have proliant 6000 450 MHZ, it was working fine with Windows NT 6.0 . I have 2 Array Controller in it Smart array 221 and 2-DH. i have used Smart start 5.0 and installed windows 2000 Server on it. Installation went fine.but after installation system hangs after some time. i have udated the system BIOS to the latest available on HP Website. I have also updated the ROM for both the controllers to the latest, and drivers as well. So anybody has faced this type of problem if yes any recommendations. Array controllers are connect on slots 3 and five. i have applied lated windows service packs with all updates.
5 REPLIES 5
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Vijay,
After applying the latest Windows Service packs did you apply the Compaq/HP support pack??? If not then that's what is causing the hangups. Just remember that anytime you apply any updates from Micorosoft the proprietory drivers on compaq/hp machines get overwritten. Therefore, BEFORE you reboot after apply MS updates you do need to apply Compaq/HP support pack.

Regards,
Vijay Dogra_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sunil,

i have done that also...but problem remains same. Next thing what i did is removed 221 and installed windows NT 4.0 with 2-DH controller using smart start 5.50. then i upgraded to windows 2000 after using primer and latest NT support pack. every thing went fine. once i applied service pack 4 for windows 2000 and support pack for 2000 system starting hanging after restart. so any more tips anybody.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Vijay,
Which version of HP/COMPAQ support pack have you used on your server?? If you did use the latest one which is 6.4 then I would recommend back rev it to 6.20. Here is the link just in case you need it:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16259.html

Regards,
Vijay Dogra_1
Occasional Contributor

HI Sunil,
thanx for replying... i have applied the latest one. i'll apply the old one also, but this problem is also coming without applying any HP Support pack. if i install windows 2000 using smart start using Smart Array 221 only (after Removing 2-DH ) system hangs immediately after smart start installation is over. With 2 DH i can move litte further and i can install W@K SP and Support pack. after the reboot it gives hanging problem. i think something wrong with the controllers only. as NT works fine using both.
Regards,
vijay
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Vijay,
Well it seems like to me that you have some hardware configuration issue. Please clear NVRAM by going in F10(Advanced Mode). This will reset the hardware configuration. If you dont know how to clear NVRAM please let me know and I shall attach the process.

Regards,