5501 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 6000 - Smart Array 3200 - Losing Partitions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Darren Dolton

Proliant 6000 - Smart Array 3200 - Losing Partitions

On a Proliant 6000 with windows NT4, have two logical drives created on sa3200. Logical drive one is partitioned C: & D: drives. Logical drive two is partitioned as F: drive.
On reboot partition F: lost had to recreate in disk admin and restore. Next reboot partition D: lost had to recreate in disk admin and restore. SA3200 looks ok, no errors, arrays & logical drives stay created. Any help appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

What i can suggest update the BIOS of the server and controller firmware. Use the smartstart cd then ACU to veiws the status of the array.

Or

To resolve this problem, change the Smart Array 3200 Controller's "Maximum Boot Size" setting from "Disable (Maximum 4GB Boot Partition)" to "Enable (Maximum 8GB Boot Partition)". This is done using the Compaq Array Configuration Utility (ACU) as follows:

1. When creating the logical drive using the ACU, select the "Advanced" button on the "Create Logical Drive" screen,

2. Select "Enable (Maximum 8GB Boot Partition)" on the "Advanced Features" screen,

Please try it might be a help

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi,

"Enable Max Boot" setting usually specifies whether you wish to use 32 sectors/track as oppposed to 64 sectors/track. Accordingly, you can have a boot patition >8GB or not.

I am not sure how this setting is related to your problem. Happy to be guided tho ;)

To get back to the original question, my approach would be as below:
1. Check in the event logs and please post any errors. I am sure you have got some.
2. Check in the IML (integrated management log) of the server for any hardware errors.
3. Check for management agents information/survey.txt (survey utility info) about any system specific hardware errors.
4. Confirm if you are running the latest FW on the system BIOS, array controller's FW, disks FW and latest proliant support pack or device drivers.
5. Could you also run Array Diagnostics Utility and see if your drives are developing any SCSI irrecoverable errors.
6. Check for any viruses.
7. Could you remember any recent change after which you have started witnessing these problems.
8. Could you also monitor system temperature.
9. Check if you have got caching enabled on the actual disks from within Windows?

More info please...

Hope it was of help and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,
Darren Dolton

Hi Prashant & Saket,

Thankyou for responding so quickly, I will try your recommendations later today. I meant to allocate seven points not eight sorry.

Just to add to my question I'm not getting any errors in the event logs or SCSI irrecoverable errors??

Best Regards
Darren
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please post the exact error messages friend.
If under event vewier then with event id
If under iml then exact details.

Regards,
Prashant S
Nothing is impossible
Darren Dolton

Hi Prashant S.

That's the strange thing, I'm not getting any error codes for hardware or software.

I haven't applied any patches or changed any settings. I shutdown the server and when it comes back up it loses a partition, usually D: drive. I've spoken to my colleagues and they haven't changed anything?

Best Regards
Darren
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

So we need to check with the option what we have posted might be a help.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Darren Dolton

Hi,

I've reconfigured the array and the problem appears to be resolved.

Many thanks for your help.

Best Regards
Darren
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Good thing is problem is resolved.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible