1753734 Members
4712 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 6000 Video Upgrade?

Scott Prior
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 6000 Video Upgrade?

I'm trying to upgrade the video on the Proliant 6000 Server. I installed a GeForce4 PCI card, which conflicts with every system I put it in that has a RAID controller. Is there a 32mb or higher video card that will work without conflicting with the RAID controllers? I have a Smart Array 4200 and a Smart 2/P controller in the P6000. It boots up, but when it gets past the processor ini screen, it says Slot11 and then stops. I removed the 4200 out of slot 11, restarted, and it did the same thing right at Slot 10. I put it in a Proliant 1600, and it locked at the RAID controller in that machine too. I then put the video card in a standard computer, and it works fine. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Scott,

Perhaps a silly question but did you disable the embedded video when you installed the cards in these servers, esp. PL1600?

This is usually switch 1 on the configuration switchpack, which is set to on to disable.

Just a thought,

Regards,

Brian
Scott Prior
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I did turn off the embedded video. I see video fine until the RAID controllers initialize, then it locks, on every computer with a RAId controller.
Daniel Rainville

I have had the same issue with a little twist. If I have any NIC card installed in either the 32 or 64 bit slots and configured, the machine will not warm reboot. When it does I get the BSD with an error message that tells me "failed to initialize video". I figured it was a problem with the onboard video and tried to upgrade to a couple of different cards. Cleared NVRAM, istalled card, ran setup, etc. The Geforce did not work and either did a new 8 mb ATI Rage Pro. The only card I got to work successfully was an old 128mb ATI Rage Pro powered all-in-wonder. Problem is I still get the BSD on warm reboot while the server cold boots just fine. HP has been of absolutley NO help. Time to look at the DELL I am sorry to say.
Antonio Luiz de Oliveir
Frequent Advisor

Hi. I'm not sure if it's the case, but some pci cards are pci bridges. It breaks the pci bus in two segments: before and after the bridge. maybe you should not install the video controller in the same pci bus as the raid controllers.