4224 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 6000 & Storage System RSO/U

Neil Griffin
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 6000 & Storage System RSO/U

Storage System RSO/U
Error 1777 on start up on proliant 6000 server, saying my attached Proliant Storage enclosure has a problem detected. Scsi port 1: wide scsi tranfer failed, try new cable. Anyone got any idea's. Compaq have tried a new controller, new scsi cable to the storage unit, am going to change the back board which slots in tonight, but I'm still not convince. The storage array has 7 x 18.2GB disks configured into 2 arrays, and it all works fine for about a week or so, then falls over. Because we are seeing this message we think it's most likely this thats causing the hang.
I have check the storage spec, and it does support the said disks. Im almost sure the arrays are configured correctly, I place a new smartstart CD and updated the rompaq, etc, still no joy. Anyone seen this.
5 REPLIES 5
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 6000 & Storage System RSO/U

Yes. This is almost always caused by a cable problem (bent pin, etc.). Is this set up for an Active/Passive config? So port 1 is running from the array controller (which one?) to the ... RSO/U? What about from the other server after it's failed over? Is this error coming up one that machine or just on the first server?

The 1777 "Wide scsi transfer failed" means just that. It's not able to negotiate at wide ultra scsi 3 transfer rates.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Neil Griffin
Occasional Contributor

I have changed the external ScSi lead from server to storage box, changed the controller in server which was a 3200 smart controller, I have also changed the main board in the storage system, only thing left is the storage cage. I enclose my diagnostics print out.
Details are,
slot 6 Smart 3200 Controller (to RSO/U unit)
slot 11 Smart 3100ES Controller (for main sever array)
I'm not 100% but this error may of started when we added the 2nd array which is made up of 3 x 18.2GB disks. Array A on the box is 4 x 18.2GB, so now the cage is full with 7 disks in 2 arrays.
Im not to sure on the Active or Passive thing, Im sure the arrays wouldn't work at all if this was wrong, as I say all works ok, or seems to for about a week or so and the system hangs or array hangs.
It did notice from the diagnostics that Array A 4 x 18.2GB disks are not stamped for monitoring, storage enclosure on ScSI bus 1.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Is this setup for use as a cluster? Is the same error showing up on the other server? I suspect if the same error is not showing up on the second server then there is nothing from at the storage itself.

The error is coming from the 3200 correct? I would recommend rebooting this machine when possible and disconnecting the external cable from the 3200 temporarily to see if the 1777 error goes away.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Is this setup for use as a cluster? Is the same error showing up on the other server? I suspect if the same error is not showing up on the second server then there is nothing wrong at the storage itself.

The error is coming from the 3200 correct? I would recommend rebooting this machine when possible and disconnecting the external cable from the 3200 temporarily to see if the 1777 error goes away.
Neil Griffin
Occasional Contributor

Well it isn't setup as a cluster, we only have the storage unit connected to one server which is a proliant 6000 server with smart Array 3200 controller, it's always been fine in the past. We only think the error started when we added the 2nd array of 3 x 18.2GB disks just before christmas. We used smartstart 7 to configure the 2nd array and it's all working ok from what we can see. Not sure if we should backup, recreate the array.