cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 6000 can not load Windows Server 2000, 2003

Sarne
Occasional Visitor

Proliant 6000 can not load Windows Server 2000, 2003

I have a Compaq Proliant 6000 Quad Zeon processors PIII 500GHz first two 1mb cache second two with 2mb cache ,3100ES smart array controller With 4 18.2 GB Wide-ultra SCSI drives and 1GB RAM Bious Version P43 (12-27-1999)

What version of SmartStart should I use I have 6.10 and 4.22 I can not make 6.10 work but can make 4.22 . Can I make 6.10 work? Will it work for any other servers like the two 3000 I have or is 6.10 only for new servers? As I have been reading some they say 5.50 is the one to use is this true and if so why.

So I use the 4.22 to creat the Array then boot to my windows CD

I can not load Windows 2000 or 2003 server on my 6000 This is the point were I put in the CD and boot to it and it loads all the drivers write at the start. it gets to the point that it says ???setup is starting windows??? and just hangs. I don???t get to the point to press F8 after the service agreement or anything. I am not pressing F6 to load a Therd party controller do I need to do so? If so what driver do I use for my 3100es.

Thinking it mite be a memory problem I decreased the memory to 256mb. Still no luck.

I did get ManDrake8.0 to load witch is a version of Lunix so I don???t think it???s the computer. But I am wanting to load Winders.
6 REPLIES
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 6000 can not load Windows Server 2000, 2003

Smartstart 6.0 and above is for the 'new' servers that no longer use a system partition because the important stuff is built into ROM.

Try to get SmartStart 5.50. This is the last version that supports system partition.

I don't know why Windows setup hangs. Did you install the latest BIOS ?

The systems hangs or you get a message that indicates there are no hard disk drives where install windows?

To install Win2K with some array controllers you need to press F6. Try to copy drivers of the HP server CD to a floppy disk.
Sarne
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for the info on the SmartStart. The Bios is up to Date.

The system hangs before I get to the finding of the hard drives. Part of my question is do I need to load a driver for my 3100es if so what one I can not find it. Does windows have one built in already?

Windows 2000 has the drivers for the 3100 build in so you don't need to press F6 during text-mode setup. The ROM revision you have looks ok, I agree it would be worth getting hold of Smartstart 5.5 as this is the latest that supports these servers. This type of problem can be difficult to diagnose - typically, Windows is hanging at the point where it does hardware recognition including the ACPI stuff on the processors. Last time this happened I had to build another server, then swap the disks into the server that we were having problems with (it was lucky the we had two identical servers to build, and only one had the problem). Might be worth trying taking out the two processors with the 2Mb cache, and leaving just the two 1Mb cache processors as Windows will have less to figure out at the point where it is trying to start. Leave two processors in though so that it tries to load the multiprocessor HAL. Hope this helps.
Arne Schrieber
Occasional Visitor

I had the same problem with my ProLiant ML350.
After updating the bios i was entering the "ROM-Based Setup Utility" (F9 at startup) and chosed "Advanced Options/Erase Non-volatile Memory".

Arne Schrieber
Doug Eaton_1
Advisor

Sarne,

Did your 6000 ship with that processor configuration? My 6000 is just a PentiumPro but runs Windows 2000 without any problems, I might try removing 2 processors temporarily, making sure the 2 you leave in match exactly, to see if that is playing any part in your problem. I don't have SmartStart 5.5, but have had no problems with v5.30. Checkout Microsofts Hardware Compatability List (HCL) to verify the 3100ES is listed, I would be suprised if it wasn't...

Did/does Mandrake 8.0 install SMP?

doug...