1753524 Members
5253 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 6000 interlock override

Bob Compono
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 6000 interlock override

Okay, I finally give up getting this 6000 going. I haven't been able to convince it to power up in weeks. Which isn't so bad since it is only 4x200MHz Pentium Pro's. I can cannibalize the memory and hard drives. So, in that vein, is there any way I can convince the power supplies to come on to power nothing but the two SCSI hot-swap bays in the machine? I figure I can run the SCSI cables to the 6500 sitting right on top of it and use the smart array card in the 6500 but I need to get power to the hot-swap cages. If I can't get the normal power supplies to work I'll have to take them out entirely and buy one or two normal power supplies and wire them into the hot-swap cages. If that is necessary does anyone have a diagram that shows the power requirements and the pinout of the plug from the cages.

Sorry this is so long.
2 REPLIES 2
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 6000 interlock override

Sound like you running over project, with old beast. Problem that you have it might be related to Power, if you don't have spares; it make hard to troubleshoot. Would be not easy to buy PL800 ... 1600 Series with PIII for $50 - $70 from eBay and make it as a Project? If you still have motivation to restore 6000: Best way to get 6000 up, is strip it down to min - min Configuration, disconnect power cable, press and hold power switch for 10 sec, remove every Single component ... Including CPU from CPU board and bring together all components back. Most affected components can be Power supply, Power Backplane or Processor Board. Verify: there should no left over Power Cables; all should be conected.
Bob Compono
Occasional Advisor

Re: Proliant 6000 interlock override

Actually I purchased the unit on Ebay for $41. It was advertised to boot to floppy but they couldn't format the hard drives for lack of drivers. It was from an asset recovery place that probably didn't know the first thing about setting up a SmartArray. Once I got it I got it to power up a couple of times but then it wouldn't even do that any more. Right now it's individual parts are more valuable than using it as a server. The power supplies are good, I've swapped them into and out of a 6500 I bought at the same time. I've stripped everything out and left nothing but Motherboard with one bank of memory, floppy drive, cdrom, one processor and pci I/O board. Still no power up. I can't even get the interlock led above the cdrom drive bay to light up (althought the one on the motherboard does). It's only a Pentium Pro motherboard with 4 200Mhz processors. However, it came with over a GB of memory and 11 4.3 GB hot swap hard drives in two hot swap bays with a SmartArray-2/P controller. Even without the controller I could hook up the two hot swap bays to the SmartArray-2/DH card in my 6500 but I need power to the bays. That's why I asked if any knows how I can get the power supplies to come on without the motherboard and PCI board and, failing that, the inputs of the drive bays so I can wire an old fashioned PC power supply to provide juice to the bays.