ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753772 Members
5234 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 6000 powers on, no boot

Russell Graves

Proliant 6000 powers on, no boot

I recently traded a few monitors and hard drives for a Proliant 6000 with quad PPro 200 CPUs and over a gig of RAM.

The system had been working fine, but was not needed.

I got it to my place, and tried to get it working. It refused to power on. After a bit of investigation, I discovered that the mainboard had shifted down and come disconnected from the PCI board. I fixed this problem and the system powers on, but does not bring up video or anything on the LCD (other than the Firmware message).

So far I've tried reseating the RAM, using a smaller amount of RAM, reseating the VRMs, clearing the NVRAM, trying to use both the onboard video and a known working PCI card. Nothing has helped.

Any suggestions would be great!

-=Russ=-
3 REPLIES 3
Claude Boileau
Valued Contributor

Re: Proliant 6000 powers on, no boot

Hi Russ

My suggestion to following up you troubleshooting, would be to check the interlocks of the system board LEDs. On the inside cover they might be some (sticker) illustration of the position of the these interlocks (ledG??s). That might help focusing on the device giving you the problem. If you find some of lights on (usually there are in a row) and if there is more than one, depending on the sequence it might point toward one device in particular. You can call tech support 1800.652.6672 for more on the interlocks for the pro model. Maybe stripe it down even more an you may try another video card!
Hope this will help you a little bit more.
Claude
Jeff_117

Hey Russ... These symptoms have happened to me this past weekend. I was installing SP2 for W2KAS and I returned to a black screen. I rebooted and did not get a post and the LCD displayed only the firmware. I am getting power, but no post. Let me know if you have corrected your problem and what caused it etc...

Thanks,
Jeff
Russell Graves

I did get it fixed - there were a few problems.

First, it appears that some of the RAM went bad.

Second, socket 3 on the mainboard was bad. I replaced the board.

But the thing that got it booting in the first place was taking it *completely* apart and putting it back together. Apparently the loss of power to everything fixed some issues.

Alternately, try leaving it unplugged for a while.

-=Russ=-