cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 6400R - powers on, no image on monitor

H.J. Pot
Occasional Visitor

Proliant 6400R - powers on, no image on monitor

I've recently got an old Proliant 6400R from Ebay. I had some problems at first, but solved all of these with help from these forums, so thanks go out in advance ;)
At first, the server wouldn't boot at all (interlock LED was amber) but I fixed that just fine. The server powers on now, all lights on the front are green and the interlock status indication lights on the mainboard are all off.

I hooked up an old 15" monitor to see what that would do, but I get no image what so ever on the monitor. Browsing these forums, I found some information about the switches on the systems I/O board. I've checked these, but they're all set to OFF except no. 3, wich is correct I believe. Then I tried to set no. 4 to OFF, and plugin a simple PCI videocard, but that doesn't work either, still no image.
To be sure I've tried another videocard and monitor, but that didn't help either.

Current configuration:
2x Xeon 500
2GB RAM (8x 256MB - these are Compaq original and compatible modules)
2x Hotswap powersupplies
No addon card except for a SCA controller on the last PCI-X slot.

Any help with this would be highly appreciated.
3 REPLIES
H.J. Pot
Occasional Visitor

Re: Proliant 6400R - powers on, no image on monitor

Update:

Since I have another server chassis with mainboard and I/O card, I've tried migrating my components to that server. It powers on but the same thing: no image at all. Could this be due to faulty CPU and/or memory?
H.J. Pot
Occasional Visitor

Well, one more update.

I believe I forgot to add CPU power boards; I've added these now (are these required?) and I seem to get a little more response: 2 long beeps. I've searched around a little, but I can't figure out what they mean. They either mean a problem with the memory, or, as an HP guide said, indicating that "the server is in Disaster Recovery Mode", wich probably means a bad BIOS.

To work around that, I've transplanted all the parts to another 6400R wich was also empty except for the mobo and I/O card. I don't hear any beeps at all when I try to start this one, and I believe that the server is simply rebooting continually, as I can hear the CD-Drive spinning up again and again.
I then moved the parts to yet another 6400R and get the same as with server one: 2 long beeps.

I'm getting desperate with these things now...

I had a similar problem with a 6400R and was able to recover the system by clearing its configuration (setting S6 to ON & giving it a full power-cycle)!

Good luck!