ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754014 Members
5007 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 6400R won't boot from SmartStart 5.50 (Smart Array 3200 controller)

Adam Gracey

Proliant 6400R won't boot from SmartStart 5.50 (Smart Array 3200 controller)

I have a proliant 6400R that we are reconfiguring to use in our test lab.

I am unable to configure the Smart Array 3200 Controller. I am trying to configure the box using the SmartStart 5.50 CD. I can boot from other CD's (windows, esx) but it always fails from the SmartStart CD. The server returns "Non-System Disk or Disk Error".

I have tried erasing the configuration using the DIP switch 6 and erasing the system configuration using the Erase Disk. After I have done this and reboot I get a prompt asking what operating system I want to install (I have tried a couple). After selection the system then reboots and I am left with the same "Non-System Disk or Disk Error" error.

I have used the SCU (System Configuration Utility) after an erase and then tried SmartStart but this hasn't worked either.

Noting some other posts I have confirmed the BIOS levels and array firmware were current and then updated them anyway.

I have also re-seated all the cards and cables.

I have tried the above procedures with a different hard drive in the bay, another post suggested this, but it didn't work.

I have tried with and without the Profile Disk in the drive.

I was unable to confirm the boot order though this shouldn't be a problem as other CD's will boot the system

Does anyone have any other ideas? All help is greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Stephen Grimmer
Trusted Contributor

Re: Proliant 6400R won't boot from SmartStart 5.50 (Smart Array 3200 controller)

Have you tried a different smartstart 5.5 cdrom?

You can download an ISO image of the cdrom here...

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22678.html

Adam Gracey

Re: Proliant 6400R won't boot from SmartStart 5.50 (Smart Array 3200 controller)

I am downloading a "fresh" image as we speak and will get someonelse to burn it at 1x to see if this helps.

Also does anyone know if the system would refuse to be configured if the battery was dead? I'm not at the lab so I can't test it at the moment.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

You would loose some settings (NVRAM), however it should not prevent to boot from SS CD5.5. BTW CD Drive is set for CS (cable select) ?
If you have any additional (Optional) memory - pull it out temporarily or if they're any additional third party HW.
Adam Gracey

The SS Image on our library must have been corrupt or there was a burning issue. At any rate downloaded a fresh one burnt it at 4x and all worked as expected.

Thanks All
Adam Gracey

DONE