108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 6500 No Boot/No Post

SOLVED
Go to solution
Patrick Tessier

Proliant 6500 No Boot/No Post

Hello,

I have an old Proliant 6500 with 4 PPro's. Only one of the three procs were working so I sent the machine off to be looked at by a so called professional. I got the server back and now it does nothing.

The machine powers up, all fans and leds function properly and the cd drive LED keeps blinking orange every few seconds. I asked him what he did and he told me he took out the proc boards, removed the procs and reseated them as well as the memory board. He also said it was working when he finished but I highly doubt it.

Is there anything that anyone could suggest to maybe get this server back up and running?

Thank you,

Patrick
3 REPLIES 3
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Hi Patrick,

Try getting the server down to its base configuration- single proc, single VRM(if it has one)and one bank of memory. I am not sure if the 6500 requires a processor terminator board if you remove a processor; start swapping parts from there. Which processor do you have?

I hope this helps
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

hi

As vijay told please try that and in same process try to boot the server with SW3 - System Maintenance Switch, Switch no : 6 for Clear NVRAM.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Patrick,

The attached Proliant 6500 LED code document should help you isolate the problem hopefully. Pay attention to LED CR1 on the fan controller board. If this indicates a general interloack fault then look at the Interlock LED combinations on the system board to identify the source of the problem.

Ideally if you had terminator modules you could eliminate CPU/VRM combinations but check first to see where your problem lies.

You will require a terminator card if a CPU is missing from its slot as this provides the necessary circuitry to the system board.

I hope this helps. The document is about 400Kb in size (MS Word format).

Brian