Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 6500 fan malfunction message

Ron Vanderveer_1
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 6500 fan malfunction message

Gang

On our Proliant 6500, which I am in the middle of reconfiguring for another task, I am getting an error message from within the Array Controller utility, or at least it seems related to the Array Controller. The message is: "1777 Slot 5 Drive Array: Proliant Storage Enclosure Problem Detected. SCSI Port 1: Cooling Fan Malfunction Detected. Solution: Replace fan."

The problem is, all the fans (there are 4) are working well! Is this some little fan somewhere that I don't know about or can't see? I have swapped the Array Controller board with another 6500, but no change in the error. I have also swapped a couple of the fans, with no affect. All the fans are showing green LEDs and are spinning like crazy. I have the server cover on and all the doors closed etc etc.

The only recent changes to this machine is that I swapped out some hard drives to bigger ones, and I am trying to configure the array to reflect the new drives.

Any help is, as always, appreciated.

Ron
"The only glory that most of us have to hope for is the glory of being normal"
2 REPLIES
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 6500 fan malfunction message

Ron:
Do you have this 6500 connected to a StorageWorks Enclosure? If so, that appears to be where the fan failure is.
Check for a loose power cable to the enclosure if it has multiple power supplies.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Ron Vanderveer_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: Proliant 6500 fan malfunction message

John

No, it's not attached to a Storage Works device.

But it does have two redundant power supplies. I will check those carefully, though they seem to be spinning well too. But I'm going to check anyway.

I think what threw me off was the connection of the error message with the array controller. I originally thought maybe one of the drives had a fan that was bad, but they don't have their own fans.

Thanks,
Ron
"The only glory that most of us have to hope for is the glory of being normal"