New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 6500 lithium battery

SOLVED
Go to solution
mgais
Advisor

Proliant 6500 lithium battery

Hello,

I have an old Proliant 6500 (with Pentium Pro CPUs) that is complaining about low battery.
Service manual instructs to add the replacement battery *before* to remove the old one, or server might be damaged, so I guess there is some circuit/memory that needs to be always powered.
Now my question is: what happens if the current battery flats out completely before I replace it?
Do I end up with a completely dead iron?
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Things like NVRAM and the system clock will be lost. The boot order might not be right, and other settings might be lost, so the system wouldn't boot on it's own. You should be able to get it running again by running the system configuration, at setting things back the way they should be.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Massimo,
When the battery dies completely the only thing you loose is the CMOS settings and upon powering up the system everytime you will have to set the BIOS configuration manually. As long as you keep the system powered up the system will function normally. Battery keeps the BIOS settings only and nothing else. I have attached the picture alongwith the part no.

Regards,