1753777 Members
7468 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant 6500 powers up but won't boot

Adam French

Re: Proliant 6500 powers up but won't boot

Yep, I have exactly the same problem.
Issue I have is that the CD-ROM drive drawer won't even open either so no chance in hell that I can get the smart start cd in.
The light on the front of the cd-rom lights up. I don;t get any lights on the drives though but I do on the floppy drive.
LCD display reads out the firmware details but that's it.
fans are running but no signal on the monitor but I am getting power through to the KVM switch and also on the Network card so seems to have most items powering ok.
My guess is that this is likely (as mentioned above) Power supply related or a power controller issue.
i'm guessing as there are 2 psu's in these servers there must be some kind of interface that controls how these 2 interact with the server as when you pull out the power cord to one of the psu's the fan on the other spins up faster (guessing to counteract additional heat that would be generated)
Therefore it's either controller related or something on the motherboard stopping the correct signals going through to allow the machine to POST properly.
At this stage I am going to bench the server and remove all components such as i/o cards and memory modules and see if this clears the problem.
I will keep you posted on my progress.