ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 6500 with two processors - processor terminators.

Network Ned
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 6500 with two processors - processor terminators.

As discussed in my previous thread [1], I have a 4 x Pentium II Xeon Proliant 6500 which won't POST & for which the troubleshooting guide says "check for VRM faults; VRM, processor and terminator seating".

Matey, who I mentioned before, has managed to find a second CPU processor-slot termination card, but it seems their both from a PIII Proliant, an ML570, and have a slightly different part number.

Two questions:

1) I believe the correct part number for the processor-slot termination card for a PII Xeon 6500 is 329271-001. Will the processor-slot termination card for a PII Xeon 6500, part number 329171-001, work instead?

2) If using only two processors in a PII 6500, does it matter which slots they occupy? I have tried the front two & the back two to no avail. The left two & the right two?

I think the most likely thing is that my mainboard is hosed. I might be willing to spend a few quid on 329271-001 terminators if I thought that they'd make any difference, but since regular PII & PIII processors (I don't know anything about Xeons) were slot-compatible, I'm figuring that the termination cards should be, too.

Any thoughts?

Stroller.

[1] https://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1107435
1 REPLY 1
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Re: Proliant 6500 with two processors - processor terminators.

Hello, Stroller.

Does your system have the label with the system information on the case cover? This has information.

Part numbers are sensitive to these systems. You will need parts of the same number or ones that have new numbers.

In other words check the part number on the first one and search for it at HP parts, eBay or google.

URL for system:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?〈=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254864〈=en&cc=us

Good Luck.
Sincerely, Mark