108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 7000 CR46 & CR20 to Amber

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marc Vanbrabant
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 7000 CR46 & CR20 to Amber

Ok, we bought this Proliant 7000 at an auction and just powering on this machine gave us these two amber leds, logical maybe because:
This proliant didn't have any interlocks delivered inside.
Even worse maybe, the manual of the Proliant 7000 shows us 3 interlocks, at the top cover (found that one) at the removable media bay and side cover (did not find those). Even so ... following the cables on the picture leads us to a whole different looking system board than on the pic.
The system board has a power/interlock connector. It has 6 pins, 3 go to the power button and then 2 of them are shortwired.
My guess is this box was tweaked to power on without covers. However ... the ones on the system board are shortwired, but the rest which sits on the processor board .. well didn't find those.
Can anybody send me like a pic of where to connect the interlocks on the processor board? Or describe it in a very clear way. Or suggest some stuff, anything :)
12 REPLIES 12
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Marc,
Which model of PL7000 you folks have?? Is it Pentium Pro or Xeon Model?? If you have Pentium Pro then see the following link for Service documentation:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/maintenance_guides/ProLiant_7000/index.html

I am attaching the picture of interlocks and see if this helps.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Marc,
I forgot to attach the interlock locations picture in my earlier reply. So apologies for that. Here it is:

Marc Vanbrabant
Occasional Advisor

Hello Jerath,

Thanks for spending some time for me.
The server is a Xeon based one, certainly not a Pentium Pro one.

The part numbers on the front of the CPU say "328597-003" for 3 of them, however "328597-004" on 1 of them, different part numbers for 1 cpu .. weird also? Also I don't find any of these part numbers anywhere on the internet.

Although an alternative sticker said it's actually part number "328794-007".

Anyway I put up some pics of the boards online, be welcome to download them and makes notes on it as I did.

You can find them on:
http://wilma.vub.ac.be/~mvbraban/proliant/

Tnx for posting the PPro pic, that board has more or less the same layout as the Xeon I would say.

Thank you for your time
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

looking for the obvious : have you looked at the inside of the panels ? maybe there is a diagram attached.

Pieter
Marc Vanbrabant
Occasional Advisor

Yep Piet I did, there are diagrams of the boards on the inside of the covers, however none mention any connection points for interlocks. Unless they have another name or so?
Marc Vanbrabant
Occasional Advisor

Piet, actually connector 20 on the processor board shows an "interlock/air sensor connector". Connector 18 on the IO board show an "power switch/interlock connector".
The ones on connector 18 are shortwired, the one on connector has 4 wires coming out, 2 going to an air-like sensor, the 2 wires disappearing in some tape (prolly shortwired too, but didn't check yet).

Still this leaves 1 interlock connection left that I have to connect somewhere?

And if those connectors are well shortwired..they should work?

I added some diagrams from the processor and io board on:

http://wilma.vub.ac.be/~mvbraban/proliant/diagrams/

They are a bit big, sorry for the size, but they are detailed and high res.

Thanks for the replies!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Marc,

The attached customer advisory might help locate the problem.

Hope this helps

Brian
Marc Vanbrabant
Occasional Advisor

Yah I found that advisory way back when I started working on this system, I'm just not 100% experienced yet to just dismantel the whole system, I was trying to see if other people couldn't suggest like easier ways to test/debug to see what is wrong.

Can I ask what they mean by STP in this advisory tho?

And has noone yet shortwired interlocks? So I can see if those mofo's I bought the server from aren't actually shortwirering the wrong pins?
Marc Vanbrabant
Occasional Advisor

Right, I followed some pointers on other threads and just took everything out of the machine, including all the boards and reassembled it.
It still didn't work ..
I put in 2 more pieces of ethernet cards .. and it worked .. something must have been giving a bad contact, somewhere, so next time I'll just push harder .. on everything ;)

So, nothing was wrong with the interlocks, just maybe the processor board not well pluged into the system board.

However it's still complaining about a Low Battery and there doesn't seem to be a battery anywhere in the system .. anyone has a solution for this ?