ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752295 Members
4732 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 7000 Upgrade Processors for 2003 Server

Proliant 7000 Upgrade Processors for 2003 Server

I've got a Proliant 7000 with 2 x PII 200 processors installed. I have the problem that Windows 2003 server only recognises one.
I appreciate that this is a known issue and the only option is to upgrade the processors.
I believe I can go up to PIII Xeon but I can't seem to get confirmation. There are 4 processor slots on my board.

Can anyone help please and let me know the maximum processor I can go up to or even a processor that I can install that will overcome this issue (just in case the Xeon is really expensive!)

Many thanks!

David
11 REPLIES 11
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 7000 Upgrade Processors for 2003 Server

After the 2003 install did you check to see what HAL is installed in 2003??
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!

I'm not sure how to check the HAL after installation but it was a fresh install on new hard drives therefore, according to the Microsoft page, the correct HAL is automatically installed. In device manager the processor is listed as 'MPS Multiprocessor PC' however it is only seeing 1 processor. Again, acording to Microsoft knowledge base (and this forum) the issue is with Windows 2003 server being incompatable with certain PII processors - hense why I asked the best processor to upgrade to.
The front panal of the server says it sees both processors installed.
However, if there is a fix or workaround, I'd appriciate the help.

Thanks
Eric_76
Regular Advisor

just some clarification

when the server boots up does it show 2 procs?

when the os finaly loads run task manager and under Performance tab how many procs. does it show?

Yes, when it boots it sees both and in the Task Manager it sees 'MPS Multiprocessor PC' however it is only running on one.

According to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 319091:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319091

my processors are of the incompatable type.

That is why I want to put new ones in but I don't know the best type - or if its a case of 'plugging the PIII Xeon into the board and go..'

...also, on the Performance tab I'm not sure what the screen should look like for 2 processors but it only give me a simple option to choose how to allocate processor resources - programs or background.
Its set on background but it shows no mention of having 2 processors.

..sorry 'Task Manager' only shows one processor - CPU usage is almost constantly 100%
Eric_76
Regular Advisor

1. try upgrading the System bios might have a new support for 2003..
2. make sure that it is using multiproc and not Uniprocessor under Computer in device manager.

other than that I have no more ideas and what you have is what the article mentioned.

Eric
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In 2k we can try the following methos to resolve the issu. Open the link to follow the mentioned details from microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237556

For 2003.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838856&Product=winsvr2003

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible

I'm now at desperation point!

Running the HP Survey utility it sees both processors as Pentium Pro 200 with 1 meg cache running fine. It has 524 meg Ram.

Windows 2003 sees a multiprocessor in the system properties but in task manager says the processor is using 100%.

How can I definitively tell if windows really is running on both or just 1?

In order to upgrade I have to buy a new board and xeon processors which will cost over $10,000.
I'm going to try putting an extra 1 Gig of Ram in to see if it helps but I'd really like to solve the processor issue or at least find out how many windows is running on.