1752620 Members
4202 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 7000 Xeon freezes

Ed Fielder
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 7000 Xeon freezes

I have just put a Proliant 7000 Xeon online. using SmartStart 5.4 I performed an erase of the system. re-configured the system and using SmartStart installed W2K server. Using the softpaq bundle I have upgraded the entire system to latest rev's.Everything seems to work fine but after about an hour or less the mouse, keyboard freezes. Compaq thought it might be the memory, 1Gig Crucial 50ns "new". Ran a full diagnostics and showed no problems or eors. I am using a plain unenhanced Dell keyboard, and HP mouse. W2K has SP3 loaded, have not tried a downgrade, as I thought maybe someone would have an answer. As this is a bare system(nothing of value on it yet) I am inclined to blow away W2K and start fresh with Linux to see if I have the same problem. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I am awake 24/7.
Thanks to all who answer,
Ed
2 REPLIES 2
Claude Boileau
Valued Contributor

Re: Proliant 7000 Xeon freezes

Hi Ed,

I also believe it might be memory. If only you could temporally put in Compaq memory in you would know right away. Also the diag for the memory are made for Compaq ram and Compaq hardware. You also have done the firmware upgrade which is also a good thing. Trying a different keyboard and mouse might also be possible as well as another OS before trying the full Compaq memory swap. Hope this will help.

Claude
Ed Fielder
Occasional Advisor

Re: Proliant 7000 Xeon freezes

Hi Claude,
Thanks for the early reply and here's one to chew on. I disconnected the Cat5 connections to the NIC card and the system has been running with no freezes since I first posted the problem. Going to try reconnecting and see if the system freezes. Curcial says that they have no reported problems with their Ram in Proliant servers and they manufacture for specific machines.(of course they would say that) It is however lifetime guarantee.
In Reference to the keyboard and mouse. I have a HP Netserver and changed to a non-HP KB and mouse. Loaded all the proper drivers but the system never operated properly, many qwerks, and what the heck, I only use them as servers not as desktops. Probably should find a KB and mouse for a Proliant.
I will post results after I reconnect to the NIC.
Thanks again,
Ed