Go to solution
Trevor_45

Proliant 7000 and Linux

Im trying to install linux on my quad PII server - the last error i got was:

SCSI error: < 1 0 0 0 > return code=0x6000000
end request I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
unable to read partition table

Smartstart 5.5 wont boot - I managed to get the SCU onto a floppy - and i have everything except the ACU installed on the system partition (F10 at bootup) - Do i need the ACU to get rid of this error? if so - can i put the ACU on floppies or a CD-R to get it to work?

any help is greatly appreciated...

Cheers,
Trevor
3 REPLIES 3
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Proliant 7000 and Linux

probably some problem with controller/disk?

Try to run "fdisk -l" from shell [CTRL-ALT-F2]

or

start in rescue mode ["linux rescue" from install CD].
Trevor_45

I'm really new to linux and very stuck now - i tried a few different partitions - i cant seem to format in linux (with bootable CDs for emergancy repairs) but im getting no where.

Perhaps if someone has the time - could i get a step-by-step for installing mandrake 10.0 including any drivers or files that i might need on floppy (links). I have lots of time to wait - ive tried linuxcompaq.com or something like that - and i just cant seem to get anywhere.

I have SCU installed on the compaq partition... where do i go from here...

Cheers,
Trevor

PS - I rated your advice well - cause i got 2 steps furthar in my install before i started getting more errors - thanks for the help about partitioning - i just got stuck after that and i have no idea whats going wrong now.
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Trevor,

Mandrake Linux installation should be straightforward (http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fdoc.php3) . The only thing we should verify - it's harddisk/SCSI controller. Did you run other OS on this hw before and it worked?
Can you try to create new partition on the harddisk using "fdisk" from rescue environment?