108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 7000 hard drive capacity

SOLVED
Go to solution
Drew Miller_3
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 7000 hard drive capacity

I have a Proliant 7000 with 4, 500 mhz PIII Xeon processors. It has 2 additional UE storage systems, server has 3100 ES controler and the 2 UE's are running off a 3200 controler.My question is what it the largest hard drive capacity I can use.(18Gig 36 Gig ect.)
Regards
Drew Miller
5 REPLIES 5
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi drew

the smart 3200 should support any drive size (at least up to 72 gb) if you have current firmware.

the limit is the logical drive size. newer smart controllers support up to 2 terabyte per logical drive (you can have up to 32 per controller).

best regards
ernesto

Lars Floden
Frequent Advisor

We have 1 7000 running 10 36.4 Gig drives. They are the newer style drive and we had to get the new style drive cage to do it, but it works.
e4services
Honored Contributor

We have up to 181GB drives for you Proliant 7000
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Drew Miller_3
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all for your responses good information. Can anyone tell me about the new style drive cages?

Regards
Drew
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor
Solution

hi drew

the old drives have a beach-grey (compaq called it that) carrier and the carrier has two levers - one swings to the right, one to the left.
-----------------------------------------
the new lvd drives (u2, u3, u320) have a single lever and a black front.
--------------------------------------------
if you have the older drive cage (internally in the 7000) you could replace them. but you can also install a new drive on an old carrier and vice versa.
------------------------------------------
this is not officially supported but runs fine (lvd scsi is backward compatible with se scsi).
-------------------------------------------
the 3200 is a lvd controller, the 3100 is a se controller.
-------------------------------------------
look at the second digit in the name of the controller. smart 3200 -> 2 stands for ultra2 scsi. smart 3100 -> 1 stands for ultra1 (means wide ultra). smart 6404 is 6th generation controller (first digit is generation) with ultra4 (4 is second digit) having 4 channels (last digit).
----------------------------------------
of course the smart 3200 and 3100 are NOT zero channel controllers (the last digit meaning channels was intrduced later)

best regards
ernesto