1752580 Members
3172 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 800: 1702 SCSI cable error

Michael Stapleton
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 800: 1702 SCSI cable error

The error occurred after I changed video cards. OK, I may have been a little aggressive re-seating the backplane cage. Re-installed the old card, no change. Veriried termination with known good cable. Tried maintenance switch, tried switch 8 (bypass configs to boot to floppy), pulled everything out. Still nothing.

Questions: how do I bypass/disable the POST to boot from the diskette drive? If successful, can I disable the integrated SCSI controller? If not, what then?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Michael,
Assuming your have PL800 Pro Model, please try the following:

1) Reseat the external scsi board (the card with external scsi connection has spare 273773-001)
2) If not using integrated scsi controller, need a terminator on scsi connector on riser board
3) If using integrated scsi controller, need cable with terminator for internal scsi devices

4) Verify the SCSI Pass-through board is installed in the 8-bit slot mentioned in slot 1. The presence of this board is mandatory.

Regards,
Michael Stapleton
Occasional Contributor

Sunil,
It's a dual PPro 200.

I'm using only the internal SCSI and no external cards. Cleaned the riser board contacts and re-seated the board. My terminated cable is plugged in to the riser board. Substituted another known good cable, no luck.

It would be nice to disable it in the BIOS, but the 1702 error traps the system before F10. The maintenance and floppy switches didn't help.

Hate to give up on it. What do you think?

best regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Michael,
I am fully with you and don't like to give in till it's done for sure.
How about booting the server from the system configuration diskette and disabling the onboard SCSI. You can download the System configuration from the following link:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

You just want to reset the CMOS settings please, therefore, disconnect the SCSI cable before you attempt this.

Regards,
Michael Stapleton
Occasional Contributor

Sunil,

Thanks for sticking with me on this, but...

I can't boot to *anything*: the system halts at the 1702 error. No F10, no boot from CD-ROM, floppy, no HD.

How to bypass the POST (and therefore the error)? I tried the maintenance switch and floppy config bypass switch.

Many thanks,

Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Michael,
You definitely cannot bypass the POST process but the best way to eliminate the obvious would be to start dismentling components and then start one by one. It this does not help it could be a bad system board as well.

Regards,
Michael Stapleton
Occasional Contributor

Sunil,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I've already tried removing SCSI (and PCI devices except for the video) until I had a bare system. Looks like you're right: bad system board.

Well, at least we didn't give up without a good fight.

Thanks, and best regards. You're a great asset to this forum.