ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748195 Members
2685 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 800 (P14) will not POST

Greg_176

Proliant 800 (P14) will not POST

I have a Proliant 800 with PII 400 that does not like to POST at power on. When it does decide to POST, it runs fine. When it doesn't POST, it just sits there and resets itself every 2 seconds.
Any pointers on troubleshooting this?
5 REPLIES 5
George_141
Frequent Advisor

Hi Greg,

Please elabrote your query little more. Any error on POST, any led indication etc.

Regards,
George

Greg_176

No errors. the only reason I know that it resets itself is that I have a PCI with relays that "click" at every hard reset. I also fired this up with a diagnostic PCI card and it showed the reset line triggering every 2 seconds.
I have tried starting this thing stripped down to only the proc, 1 stick ram, and the PPM installed, same thing..
The annoying thing is that it will occasionally boot and run fine.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes, we can try to look for following informations and proceed with this:

1) If you check the Integrated Management Display any error infomraiton on same.

2)System ROMpaq Disaster Recovery Procedure
Power down the server that contains the system ROM that needs to be restored.
Open the server chassis and record the default positions of the switches on the server's Configuration Maintenance Switch Pack. If possible, obtain the revision level of the System ROM firmware originally loaded. This information can be obtained from an INSPECT or Survey Report.

Set configuration switches 1, 4, 5, and 6 on systems with 6 switches, or switches 1,2,3 and 4 on systems with 4 switches on the system maintenance switch block to the ON position. Setting these switches to the ON position enables Disaster Recovery Mode on older ProLiant servers.

Insert the ROMPaq diskette into the diskette drive.
Power up the target server. The keyboard, mouse, and monitor will all be inactive.
When the server has powered up, the server will make two long beeps to indicate that it is in Disaster Recovery Mode. For systems with the Integrated Management Display, check the IMD display for: "Insert ROMPAQ diskette".

Insert the System ROMPaq diskette in the server's diskette drive. Check the IMD display for: "ROMPAQ flashing ROM". Then, the server will read the ROMPaq diskette for the latest ROM image and will proceed to flash the system ROM on the target server.

Flashing the System ROM should take a few minutes to complete. The procedure will take longer to complete on servers with Redundant ROMs since it is flashing two images; the primary and redundant.

Listen for a sequence of ascending (increasing) tone beeps after flashing is complete. Check for a message in the IMD that will indicate a successful operation is completed. The diskette drive may appear to still be in use, but the procedure is complete per the IMD messages and ascending tone beeps.

If the flashing fails, check for a message in the IMD display indicating the failure, and listen for a series of descending beeps will be generated. A second attempt should be made just in case the procedure should complete on that iteration. A quick series of beeps indicates successful completion of the system ROM recovery process.

When the disaster recovery process has successfully completed:
Remove the ROMPaq diskette from the drive and power down the server.
Return configuration switches 1, 4, 5, and 6 to their original positions.
Reassemble the server chassis.
Power up the server as usual.

3)Front Panel LEDs
Hot Plug Fan Status LED Green Fans are in normal status with no failures
Amber One or more fans are indicating failed
Off No power applied

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Greg_176

1) no IMD on this server
2) funny enough, it booted once and did the disaster recovery thing, flashed itself with no problem. On the next boot, i hit F10 to go into the system configurartion and check the settings. As soon as the menu appeared, the system locked up. After that, back to the reset every 2 seconds. I tried the disaster recovery process again and it did the same thing it does in "normal" mode; reset every 2 seconds.
3) No hot plug LEDs, power LED comes on, CDROM and tape drives light up.
Greg_176

Got this to fire up again and was in a system configuration screen when the system blinked and displayed:
A20 Hardware Error
This is the first time I've gotten any indication about what may be wrong with this system (although that's very vague).
Any ideas?