ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753453 Members
6198 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 800 + Promise IDE Controller

Brian Abrams

Proliant 800 + Promise IDE Controller

Is it possible to add an ide drive controller to the proliant 800 running Windows NT 4.0? A friend asked me to help out with this issue, but when I connect the controller (promise fasttrack 100) and a blank ide drive, the system attempts to boot from the new drive instead of the existing scsi. If this configuration is possible, can someone explain how this needs to be done. I have a lot of technical experience with standard workstations but have never configured a proliant machine before. Thanks very much for your help.

Brian
2 REPLIES 2
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Brian,
Please make sure that you boot with a smart start CD or System Configuration diskette and set the boot controller order to the one you intend to boot from. If you dont have access to a smart start CD then you can create System configuration Diskettes by downloading SP19619 from our web site.

Regards,
mike_676

we are trying to install a 250GB Western Digital drive in our proliant 800 server and the system will not see the drive? We are using a Promise ATA100 TX2 card and that sees the drive, but the onboard IDE controller does not. Do we have to upgrade the controller firmware to see such a big drive on the motherboard IDE? our OS is novell 5.1 - help! thanks...
mdraghici@usfunds.com